Replacemnt PIR's for Securit 700L

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just moved into a house with a Securit 700L system and am wanting to replace the PIR's with pet friendly ones, and add a extra PIR.

Can anyone shed some light on if it's possible to replace the PIR's with pet friendly ones, and a recommended replacement (if possibly)

Also when replacing the PIR's can an additional one be wired in series or parallel rather than putting a new cable in to the control box.

Sponsored Links
Yes you can replace them. I think they are all pretty standard. The instructions for your alarm panel will contain the information on the supply voltage it provides and the alarm input type it accepts.
NC (normally closed) is the default as it means if the cable breaks or is cut the alarm goes off. Normally there is a tamper line aswell to detect someone cutting a cable or openening the sensor.

TLC do a couple of pet friendly sensors (http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Alarm_Index/Detectors_Animal/index.html). I dont know what the best makes are.

You should not have any problems running two sensors in series. Do check the current output from the alarm panel can supply the current that two sensors take.I cant imaging this would ever be an issue but worth checking anyway.

You shouldnt put more than one sensor on zone as ity doenst comply. This usually isnt an issue but you wont be able to tell them apart in the event of a fault or a false alarm.
Also be careful with pet sensors, there are massive differences between their abilities. Personally i wouldnt use them for large dogs, but small dogs and cats are ok. If you think a large dog, alsation etc are a similar size to a man.

Careful placing is essential too most of the time you can just swap them but not always.

Sponsored Links
to add.

so long s they are not radio any pir will be fine (depending on qaulity) you can wire as many in series as you like, BUT as Securitywarehouse so correctly pointed out (no really he did) if / when it false alsrms how are you going to know which one did? You dont, that is why you have one movement sensor / zone

Pet sensors, great! guranteed to detect all pets (except tanked and caged)

despite any blurb you will read they can not detect an objects weight.

a normal pir looks down at a specific angle, lets say 160 degrees from vertical

a pet pir looks down lest say 90 degrees from vertical which is why you should mount them at a lower height, anything that moves under them that stays down can not be seen.

How ever a cat can set them off if (when) it jumps up onto say the back of a settee, since it is now high enough to be seen

another one to watch for is when a cat goes upstairs and pet pir looking across stairs, cat goes up and off goes the alarm

I have seen both examples happen more than once in my lifetime.

(Air raid siren starts, brreezer ducks for cover)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back