Replacing a 2 gang 1 way switch with a dimmer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I took off the old switch and noted the wiring
Red cable into position C and L1 on one transformer
and Blue cable into L1 and white cable into C in the other transformer ( dont ask me why there's a white cable I was surprised to see it myself )

Replaced old switch with dimmer copying the above but no joy
put back on the old swich and lights work
tried dimmer again but no joy. I thought faulty dimmer but replacement dimmer still not working.

Am i doing something wrong

Sponsored Links
you mention transformer, am i to take it that the lights are low voltage, the origonal switch only goin on /off and now you have a dimmer switch?

if this is the case it is the transformer that is the proble, some transformers can not be dimmed (looks like you have one) you can however replace it with a dimable transformer of the same wattage as the one that you have already

A white cable? That doesn't sound too good...If you're not sure of what you're doing I would get it looked at by someone who does; you shouldn't have a white cable at a switch.

Sponsored Links
unless that is it is a feeble atempt at yellow, or it may look white under a slightly yellow light (colour temperature, but we wont go there)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back