Replacing a back boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just moved into a new house which has a thorn Housewarmer backboiler fitted. It all seems to work ok, but looks hideous. I've seen some of the new Baxi backboilers with inset fires for around £1100 and thought replacing the backboiler with another would be a cheaper option than ripping everything out and installing a combi system. I had a "heating expert" come round today, who said a combi would be cheaper, and he'd have to replace all the piping anyway, even if fitting another backboiler. I got the distinct impression, that most heating engineers aren't really keen or experienced with back boilers? Surely if the pipeworks in a sound condition it doesn't need to be replaced. He also said that the old boiler didn't have a pump, and relied on gravity to pump the water to the tank upstairs! All very strange. Can anyone shed any light on this, or tell me how much I should budget to replace the old boiler. Was he talking rubbish or am I too cynical?

Sponsored Links
Ypu'll have apump for the CH but probably not the HW. One can be added - bit of pain usually because of where the pipes go.

Read up on COMBIS before you consider going for one.
Pricing depends on where you are, what you need, how easy to run pipes to new combi position etc etc.
To replace or change to a combi, anywhere £1500 - £3000. Changing to a combi would be a bit cheaper but still in that sort of range. make sure you get a powerflush - you have an old system.

save yourself alot of grief stick with back boiler combi has a far shorter life span more bits to go wrong.you need to ask yourself how many combi boiler live to be10 without major work/expense.istill come across 20year olb bbu working lovely.please note i am not anti combi as i personnally feel they are good when installed in the right application ie single/couple occupied flats/small houses:cool:

If you wanted to replace the Thorn with a Baxi, you will probably need to enlarge the width of the builders opening and reduce the height. Not a massive job, but a bit messy.

Sponsored Links
and a new flue liner...thats why I don't like putting them in, I'm not keen on heights.

I love combis but would agree to stick with your back boiler arrangment, you will need to upgrade from gravity to a fully pumped system to comply with Part L regs ect, cant see why you need to repipe the lot though, one thing to look out for is to check the chimney breast is deep enough from the finished front face to the internal back of the chimney to house the boiler, check with the Baxi installation dimensions BEFORE purchase to avoid problems.
It is recommended to use a new liner when fitting a new back boiler, dont forget to make sure the annular space is sealed around the liner at the top of the boiler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back