Replacing a bathroom extractor fan...Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My extractor fan stopped working and I bought a new one. The previous one ran from a separate pull switch with no timer and not connected to the light.
There is only one cable, at extractor with live, neutral and earth, at pull switch end live, neutral and 2x earths.
The previous pull switch had 4 connection points, which were connected to L, N, E plus an extra wire which connected either the Live or Neutral with the spare connection point.
My new pull switch has just L & N connection plus separate Earth.
I connected it up and trip switch blew.
I disconnected pull switch and turned power back on and fan was working, on its own independent to switch....
Do I need a different pull switch...? or am I missing something here...?
Any advice gratefully received...Thanks

Sponsored Links
Get someone in - "an extra wire which connected either the Live or Neutral with the spare connection point" suggests you don't really know what's going on in there. Also, switches don't usually have a "live and a neutral", they have two lives. If there is a neutral going through the switch you will find two lives and two neutrals in the switch.

PJ

It is difficult to say specifically what is wrong from the information you have given and the answer will to a large extent depend on how the pull switch and extractor fan are/were wired.

You say there is a live, neutral but 2 earth wires at the pull switch which would suggest that you have a cable missing - possibly gone back into the ceiling void/loft?

The question is whether the old pull switch has been wired up to act as a plate switch (live and switched live - no neutral) which would imply a two terminal or as a dual pole which would imply 4 terminals live in/out neutral in/out.

From your description it sound like the original pull switch was a dual pole which means you first of all need to find the missing cable and then replace the 2 terminal pull switch for a dual pole version.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back