Replacing a fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a fireplace for a real fire that consists totally of a brick surround and hearth. I would like to get rid of the bricks and replace with a modern surround.

I am a total novice at DIY, even so I may be making this more complicated than it really is, but to my mind I am thinking if I knock all the bricks out, presumably I will be left with the fireplace opening in the wall, surrounding which will be chunks missing from the chminey breast where I have removed the bricks. Therefore I am thinking that I will need to get some plastering done before/at the same time as installing the new surround.

Does this sound about right?
Will I need to do any sealing up of the hole when I have removed the current bricks?
The back concrete of the fireplace is also looking a bit worse for wear and covered in black soot. What are my options to do something to improve this?
Does this sound like an easy job overall, or should I just get a fireplace surround installer to do the whole job?

Sorry about all the questions, any advice would be really appreciated.

Sponsored Links
tonysab said:
Does this sound like an easy job overall, or should I just get a fireplace surround installer to do the whole job?
It's only easy if you know what you're doing! As you're novice at DIY, I would get the professional in as most fireplace are the main structure of the house. Better be safe than sorry.

I'm currently looking at getting my fireplace re-done... The better retailers I've talked to include the price of installing in the cost of the fireplace, so you may want to check into that. There will definately have to be some plastering done when the new one goes in, so they will take care of that for you as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back