Replacing a Potterton PTT2 thermostat - help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a Potterton boiler & system (I forget the exact model, but it's a Suprima, and one of the ones that suffers the pcb-overheat-flashing red light problem - but that's a separate issue!) and all the thermostats etc are also Potterton.

The one that looks after the hot water in the airing cupboard - the PTT2 - is playing up. In fact, it doesn't work automatically anymore at all. Very bizarrely if you either turn the hot water on at the main controls in the kitchen, or by using the boost button on the PTT2 itself then 'tap' the casing around the temperature dial, it comes on. Or used to. It's gotten dramatically worse this week and I now have to replace it before we're left without hot water.

I have no experience of plumbing & heating systems but I think I'm capable of changing this kind of device. Would it be best to order a replacement PTT2 online, or can I just pop into B+Q and pick up one of their thermostats off the shelf and put that in its place? I'm thinking if I just get a PTT2 I can easily slot it into the place of the old one, the wiring will be easy as it'll be the same etc - but is the wiring the same on the majority of these devices? Is it just as easy to get another brand and slot it into the system?

I think the set-up is pretty standard otherwise, we have a Drayton mid-position acuator for the heating/water which works fine.

Any tips most welcome!

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Theres not a lot to cylinder stats but for an easy life you are best getting an identical one. Buy it anywhere you like!

Thanks for the reply, Slugbabydotcom.

I shall see if I can track one of these things down and swap them over :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back