replacing an electric shower, diy-able?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a galaxy mystique electric shower, same or similar to this:

http://www.onlineplumbingsupplies.co.uk/wso/images/library/mystique.jpg?view=976

i sometimes think if it was to go wrong (which it no doubt will at some point) i might just replace it myself rather than call someone out, thing is can this job be tackled relatively easily by a competent diy-er ... which i think i am :rolleyes:

is it simply a case of water off (stop-cock) mains power off, remove old unit (electrical cabling, water pipe, wall fixtures etc) then offer up new unit and do reverse? or, like many things in life, is there more to it?

Sponsored Links
is it simply a case of water off (stop-cock) mains power off, remove old unit (electrical cabling, water pipe, wall fixtures etc) then offer up new unit and do reverse? or, like many things in life, is there more to it?

straight foreward providing the new shower you get has the water/electric connections in same position.
and the cable etc is up to standard depending on what kw shower you refit.

cheers, do these tend to be in an 'industry standard' position with most makes/models or does the location of pipe/electrical connections tend to vary?

If you tend to stick with one make not to much of a problem changing different makes they alter ie triton tend to be on the right where as miras tend to be on the left.
some are now making shower to over come this problem ie triton t80z is compatable for replacing showers that have connections on either side.

Sponsored Links
Don't forget Seco Services comment about the cable.

with 6mm cable there is a limit to what kw shower you can use.
I think 7.5kw and 8.5kw are ok. anything larger you may need 10mm cable

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back