Replacing an oil tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a 20 year old, single skinned oil tank, with a lot of gunge in it. I was thinking of replacing it with a more modern bunded one. The house is 27 years old. Currently, the oil tank sits over a concrete block bund, resting on two concrete block pillars, on top of which are some wooden rafters and a slab of 3/4" plywood. I cna see a bot of rot in the ends of the rafters.

Can anyone point me in the direction of whatever building (or maybe OFTEC?) regulations would apply to the surface on which the tank rests? Do I need to "upgrade" the support arrangement if replacing the tank?

Sponsored Links
Yes you do - it's got to be on a continuous non-combustible base. Plywood is certainly not acceptable and is classed as "Potentially Dangerous" in your current installation

Just had our tank replaced, its got to be on a non combustible base i.e.Concrete,
the base overlapping the tank by about 10% all round
Modern tanks have a built in bund, which means the new tank (size for size) will only hold half the amount of oil than your original tank .

At the moment tanks don't need to be bunded unless there are circumstances which can be a risk eg near an open drain,the base should be 300mm wider on each side with a cutout for changing the filter it needs to be more than 760mm from a non fire rated boundary and 1.8metres from non fire rated eaves and an opening in a building.These are a few regs go to oftecs web site for more info.Bob.

Sponsored Links
At the moment tanks don't need to be bunded unless there are circumstances which can be a risk eg near an open drain,the base should be 300mm wider on each side with a cutout for changing the filter it needs to be more than 760mm from a non fire rated boundary and 1.8metres from non fire rated eaves and an opening in a building.These are a few regs go to oftecs web site for more info.Bob.

Thanks for that. What are non-fire rated eaves"? At present, the existing tank is hard up against the garage wall. It is concrete block (single leaf) and rendered. The roof tiles (synthetic slates) are laid straight on top of the walls (no wood poking out and no weather boards). Would they be "non-fire rated"?

I had a quick look on the Oftec site and it also seems there can't be anything combustible within 1.8m of it (which is a bit of a blow as there's a woooden lean-to shed immediately behind it (like about 4" from the back of the tank)! I think this is going to be harder than I thought....!

I often fitted tanks on new houses that were 100% compliant.
Go back a year later and Sheds, Fencing panels and plants had mysteriously appeared.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back