replacing antenna to panasonic stereo tuner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I have a rather old pioneer stereo tuner model no tx-520L, see photos.

IMG_1135.JPG

IMG_1137.JPG

IMG_1136.JPG

Those two cords you see coming out the bottom are supplying radio through a corded antenna but there is a lot of interference. I would to replace it with a surface mounted antenna. What can I use here that will give the best quality reception?

Sponsored Links
"Best quality" would be a roof mounted multi-element FM aerial aligned on a specific transmitter. After that it's a dipole aerial which picks up from all around. Next down would be the same things but mounted in your loft.AAll of these connect to the 75 Ohm input.

After those options you're looking at something in the same room as the tuner. The usual choice is a ribbon aerial. That's basically a wire ribbon in the shape of a letter T. This is what you'd connect to the 300 Ohm input.

Ribbons can work well in medium to strong signal areas. They take a bit of faffing around to get them lined up though so it can either be great or rubbish depending on how lucky you are with the final alignment.

Aerials to avoid: Those round FM Omni aerials are poor. With a 360 degrees circular design there's only ever a few degrees of the aerial face correctly aligned to the transmitter. That means not enough metal to generate a decent noise-free signal.

Others to avoid would be the amplified aerials from Argos / Amazon / Supermarkets etc. Lots of hiss, too little signal.

Woah that's a lot of good info Lucid, many thanks.

So I went out to shortly after I posted to buy some coax f plugs, see photos:

IMG_1139.JPG

IMG_1138.JPG

We have the use of another FM aerial (see above) purchased a year or two ago online and it works ok, so I tried it.

It barely picks up any signal at all, tried a lot of twiddling but very little luck. A few stations but not the ones wanted. Surprised it worked at all to be honest.

Can't do roof mounting here, just not an option.

So the 300ohm ribbons are the only option? Is there not something else that looks a little more substantial like in the photo above but which works as well as a ribbon ?

Does your property have a loft, and if so does it have the TV aerial cable running through it? If the answer is yes to both of those then the next question is whether the tuner is anywhere near the TV?

Sponsored Links
Does your property have a loft, and if so does it have the TV aerial cable running through it? If the answer is yes to both of those then the next question is whether the tuner is anywhere near the TV?

I thought about what you said and I plugged the tv aerial into the stereo (which recieves signal through a surface mounted antenna of course) and stations are all coming through very well.

Quick question, if I attach a splitter to the tv aerial, like this one : https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p30919?table=no

and feed one into the stereo and another into the tv, would it work? Would there be a significant loss in the signal not to bother? What do you think?

What do you mean by a "surface mount antenna"?

That splitter has about 4dB of loss. Why not run another coax cable to the loft and put an FM aerial there?

I thought about what you said and I plugged the tv aerial into the stereo (which recieves signal through a surface mounted antenna of course) and stations are all coming through very well.

Quick question, if I attach a splitter to the tv aerial, like this one : https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p30919?table=no

and feed one into the stereo and another into the tv, would it work? Would there be a significant loss in the signal not to bother? What do you think?

The fact that you're getting some signal for FM from a TV aerial would suggest that you're in a fairly strong signal area. So, your question about the splitter, the answer is probably a Yes. You'll always lose some signal strength by splitting passively (a non-powered splitter) by it will preserve signal quality which is more important than outright power.

On a scale of 1 to 10 the reception from a TV aerial for FM radio probably ranks somewhere between 3 and 5. It very much depends on location i.e. whether it's a strong signal area, and how high the TV aerial is and whether it is blocked by other buildings/trees etc. If you're getting decent results with that, then a loft mounted FM dipole would give you something like an 8 on the same scale: Much more signal, less hiss, more of the distant stations.

The questions about your loft and current aerial layout were leading towards a suggestion of adding a loft mounted FM aerial and combining its signal with that from the TV aerial. This is the idea

combining TV and FM.jpg

Obviously for most DIYers this is only practical if the TV aerial cable comes in to the loft so that a splice can be made to fit a combiner. Hence all the questions. But if that is the case then the solution above will give you really good results.

The combiner could be a simple passive (non-powered) device, or it could be a simple loft amplifier with a UHF (TV aerial) and VHF (FM/DAB aerial) input. The output of either device is the combined signal from both aerials. This works because FM signals and TV signals work at different frequency ranges, so although they come down the same bit of coax they don't interfere with each other.

The signals are split back on to their separate forms by an outlet plate with sockets for TV and FM/DAB/Radio. The plate is a filter, so there's a bit of circuitry on the back but it doesn't need power.

Passive combiners are roughly £20. Active loft amps with FM and TV input combining start roughly £25. The outlet plates are somewhere in the region of £8.

By all means try the passive splitter you linked to in the previous post. It's cheap enough not to break the bank.

Digital TV reception works on a knife edge principle. It's called the Digital Cliff. Much like you standing on a cliff, you're safe enough right up to the edge, but one more step and you plummet off. Digital TV reception is the same. Signal power and quality can reduce and reduce but then there's a sudden point where it has walked off the edge of the cliff and TV reception just collapses. If the splitter adds too much signal loss then you'll lose the weaker channel groups first and shortly after the stronger groups.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back