Shower switch problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

At present I have a surface mounted shower switch located on the wall inside the bathroom with ugly surface plastic conduit. The switch is at sort of shoulder height with the cables going out the top and bottom, up through the ceiling and down through the floor. It is exactly as it was when I moved in 8 years ago.

By all accounts this is not allowed.

We are thinking of moving house so I figure this needs to be changed. I guess there are 2 options.

1. If there is a bit of slack I can bury the cables in the wall and take them through the other side of the wall into the hall and have the switch there at a similar height.
2. Pull the top wires into the ceiling and somehow extend the lower section that comes out the floor so that it can join those above the ceiling and have a pull cord switch.

Any guidance as to my best option would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If you can get any slack from underneath, then you could pull the cable up into the loft - but be aware that you need to identify the run with an accessory such as a switch or socket in line with the cable. You can't just run a cable up a wall unidentified unless it is in earthed metal conduit.

If you can't identify it and don't want to mess with conduit, then your best bet is to put the switch outside. But don't run the cable inside the bathroom - chop it into the wall outside. This will mean the cable will be identified with the shower switch itself. Make sure that the circuit is protected by an RCD.

I guess there are 2 options.

1. ....

2. ....

Any guidance as to my best option would be appreciated.
I'd go for Option 3 - leave it for the new owners to sort out unless they're saying "fix it or we won't go ahead".

Sponsored Links
If you're moving out, just cut it off, and sell the house without a shower.

Thanks everyone you have given me food for thought.

At present it cannot be reached from the bath/shower but could be reached just about, if you had one hand in the sink and reached with the other arm. Not sure why you would want to do that though.

What size cable? If it's only 4.0mm2 or even 6.0mm is it up to the job? This should be picked up in the buyers survey or in the documentation needed for the dreaded HIPS.

If I were to leave it and maybe just bury the surface cables, will that be frowned upon by a surveyor when they do the HIPS?

A surveyor?

HIPS inspectors are not surveyors, not by a long shot, and you never get "a" one, as they have to travel in pairs - one of them knows the way to the property, the other one knows the way back...

Joking aside though, electrics are not part of the HIP.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back