replacing Back boiler & primatic cylinder new system.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Hopefully someone can give good guidance on the best system I should be looking for to replace the following.

Flat roofed 5 bed house so no attic. Only one bathroom but 3 wcs. Currently a primatic cylinder in bathroom cupboard. shower is electric heated.

Downstairs there is a baxi bermuda back boiler with a gas fire in front. Pump is upstairs in floor of room above it. One old manual style thermostat downstairs in hall way. Electric timer boiler controls on side wall of fireplace.
4 rads currently downstairs
6 rads upstairs inc bathroom.
Boiler approx 15 years.

System never been powerflushed obviously due to primatic although rads individually removed and cleaned out most years (no use for pipework i agree)

Looking to fit most efficient economic to run system without having to hopefully get all pipework ripped out.

All assistance gratefully received many thanks.

Sponsored Links
is the airing cupboard on a outside facing wall? and where is the gas meter located?

Sponsored Links
is the airing cupboard on a outside facing wall? and where is the gas meter located?

gas smart meter is inside the front porch

the airing cupboard is on an outside facing wall

however next to it is a bath.
Id like to reconfigure the bathroom at some point to perhaps put in a free standing shower instead or move things around so have some space where that tank in,

Is a combi out of the question
something like a Remeha or viessman or more run of the mill like a bosch ?
or would that require a complete conversion of the system / pipework

What colour is the bathroom suite ? - well I thought it as pertinent as the other questions :mrgreen: Unfortunately I`m not Gas Safe so I can`t talk about gas boilers , but a combi sounds like the way to go . You could pretty much work out possible sites for it yourself . Remember you need to get a condensate pipe away from it - indoors to a soil stack ideally (- as well as the gas in and heating pipes out ) ;)

well I thought it as pertinent as the other questions Unfortunately I`m not Gas Safe
And if you were you would realise that asking questions gives a better understanding of the site layout and the requirements, instead of saying, "a combi sounds like the way to go"

it sounds like you could fit the combi in the airing cupboard where the cylinder is without making too much mess.
you would have the hot/cold feeds and pipe-work for your central heating as they all would be used for your cylinder. you would need to get the gas supply in there but that could be run on the outside of the house, and ya condensate shouldn't be a problem as its in the bathroom.

i am presuming alot as without seeing ya current set up or house layout it is hard to advise

A good powerful combi could be just right for you. The first thing you need to do is to get someone to check the dynamic flowrate of your cold water main, because it has to supply all taps, hot and cold, at once. Look at a good simple shower mixer suitable for a combi.
Ignore the idiots on here who just want to 'wind up the gas men'.

thanks for the replys to date

Im thinking the kitchen (below the bathroom) could be a better option for the boiler. Its also external wall facing and the gas pipework currently enters the house from the porch, goes upstairs alongside the stairs (built/boxed in to them) across under the floorboards to a bedroom above the lounge where the pump is (above the boiler) then down alongside the fireplace to the boiler.
gas pipework could be routed down to the kitchen instead freeing up the bath room airing cupboard space to move the bath/electric shower over at present the other way, move the sink in to the middle and put a standalone shower cubicle (happy to have an electric again (currently 11.5kw) there if easier) where the airing cupboard is.

gas work around property isnt an option, as meter is inside a brick front porch. Property is semi detached with a side garage that is almost attached (essentially a terrace garage) to the other neighbours garage

If going a combi route, flowrate dependent, what type of output boiler would be best and what boilers should be avoided

Im guessing this is going to require changing from a gravity to a sealed system too ?
price is very subjecting but roughly would there be any additional costs from changing from this old boiler type set up to a new combi one, above replacing a like for like ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back