Replacing bathroom - which order

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I'm about to have my bathroom replaced and hope to get a little advice here please :)

I've found a plumber who will do the basic like for like replacement but to save cost I need to do everything else - trouble is I've done some research but I'm not quite sure what the everything else is and which order I should do it, oh and what bits (other than the suite and tiles) I need to buy.

This is how I'm planning to do it..... - would appreciate comments on any/all including which to do first anything I've missed and what stuff I need to have for each job.

1) Take off existing tiles - how?
2) get plumber to take out all fittings - and set shower pipes into wall???
3) plaster walls (is this something I can do myself of do I need to find a plasterer) - oh and how long after plastered do I need to wait before tiling
4) lay marine ply on the floor - should this go all the way under the bath area?
5) get plumber to put in new bath
6) seal floor tiles - 2 coats
7) tile floor - do I lay tiles out of the door and how do I finish edges to skirting?
8.) grout floor
9) pva walls
10) l-profile bead for bath (with bath full) - how long should I wait before draining bath?
11) tile walls
12) grout walls
13) get plumber to install basin and toilet
14) silicon sealant around bath and basin
15) fix shower screen
16) fit rollerblind to window
17) smile and have a beer :D - OK several

I know this is going to take a lot of reading and answering but I only found out about the l-profile bead today by doing a search on this forum so I'm wondering if there are any other little bits I need or jobs I have missed...... I really don't want to get this wrong......

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
I've found a plumber who will do the basic like for like replacement but to save cost I need to do everything else - trouble is I've done some research but I'm not quite sure what the everything else is and which order I should do it, oh and what bits (other than the suite and tiles) I need to buy.
This is how I'm planning to do it..... - would appreciate comments on any/all including which to do first anything I've missed and what stuff I need to have for each job.
Some of the jobs you are intending to do yourself are likely to be more difficult than the plumbing aspects. I think you need to do more research!

1) Take off existing tiles - how?
Lump hammer & bolster chisel + stiff scraper

2) get plumber to take out all fittings - and set shower pipes into wall???
What type of shower mixer valve are you having? Is it pumped?

3) plaster walls (is this something I can do myself of do I need to find a plasterer) - oh and how long after plastered do I need to wait before tiling
Why/what are you intending to plaster? Sometimes it's not necessary if re-tiling & the tiles come off easily. From the nature of your post, it seems unlikely you could sucessfully DIY it; if the existing tiles are well fixed or the plaster is in poor condition, you may end up pulling most of it off with the tiles. A skim must be left 10-14 days; a new base + skim up to 4 weeks.

4) lay marine ply on the floor - should this go all the way under the bath area?
You don’t need marine ply, it’s very expensive & intended for building boats; WBP is made using similar waterproof adhesives but without the decorative veneers. Are you replacing the floor or overboarding? What thickness ply? How are you fixing it?

The underside & edges of the ply should be sealed with an SBR primer; nothing on the top unless your adhesive manufacturer requires.

5) get plumber to put in new bath

6) seal floor tiles - 2 coats
7) tile floor - do I lay tiles out of the door and how do I finish edges to skirting?
What tiles are they? What adhesive are you using? Are you tiling the walls? Why have skirting?

8.) grout floor
What grout are you using?

9) pva walls
DO NOT use PVA on the walls; never use standard PVA as a base for tiling or painting.

10) l-profile bead for bath (with bath full) - how long should I wait before draining bath?
What low profile bead & why; do you mean silicone bead? Leave 24 hours but not sure what you mean as you haven’t tiled the walls yet!

11) tile walls
12) grout walls
What tiles are they? What adhesive are you using?

13) get plumber to install basin and toilet

14) silicon sealant around bath and basin
So what’s the low profile bead above?

15) fix shower screen
& silicone bead.

16) fit rollerblind to window
17) smile and have a beer :D - OK several
Where is your extractor fan?

I know this is going to take a lot of reading and answering but I only found out about the l-profile bead today by doing a search on this forum so I'm wondering if there are any other little bits I need or jobs I have missed...... I really don't want to get this wrong......
Read the Tiling Forum sticky & archive posts & spend some more time reading the archive posts in Plumbing.

Tks Richard and - gulp

What type of shower mixer valve are you having? Is it pumped

It's a thermostatic shower mixer valve - no pump will be fed from combi.

if the existing tiles are well fixed or the plaster is in poor condition, you may end up pulling most of it off with the tiles
I've had other rooms decorated and the plaster came off with wallpaper so I'm assuming the b'room will be the same esp as there are 2 layers of tiles to take off.

Are you replacing the floor or overboarding? What thickness ply? How are you fixing it?
I'm overboarding - have floorboards- I read in forum here should be 12mm think and screwed into joists - could I screw into existing floorboards.

What tiles are they? What adhesive are you using? Are you tiling the walls? Why have skirting?
Travertine tiles - not sure yet what adhesive - I will be tiling the walls but - there is 1 wall that has skirting on it and it's behind the rad -shld I remove?

What grout are you using?
It'll be the grout recommended for Travertine

What low profile bead & why; do you mean silicone bead? Leave 24 hours but not sure what you mean as you haven’t tiled the walls yet!
It's something I read about on the forum. It's an l-shaped beading which goes under the tiles and attaches to the bath - once tiles done a silicon sealer finishes off providing a v watertight seal.

DO NOT use PVA on the walls; never use standard PVA as a base for tiling or painting.
I read this was the best way to prime walls for tiling - if not true then what should I use?

What tiles are they? What adhesive are you using?

Basic white ceramic tiles - I'be been recommended to use ready mixed adhesive/grout - water and mould resistant - will this be OK?

Where is your extractor fan?

Forgot about that - it's on the wall - it's a new and v good one - do I need to take off at the same time as the tiles? Do I need an electrician to do it?

Thank you v much for your post and esp the suggestion of which parts of the forum to read.

I'm slightly nervous about how much there is to do! - though it'd be a fairly simple job. :oops:

It's a thermostatic shower mixer valve - no pump will be fed from combi.
Is the mixer surface mounted or recessed; recessed valve can be up to 100mm deep, you cannot dig that much from the internal wall & in some cases you may end up in the cavity; sometimes the only option is to build a false wall, part chase & run the pipes behind that.

I've had other rooms decorated and the plaster came off with wallpaper so I'm assuming the b'room will be the same esp as there are 2 layers of tiles to take off.
Probably then; it may end up being a lot of work.

I'm overboarding - have floorboards- I read in forum here should be 12mm think and screwed into joists - could I screw into existing floorboards.
Screw through into the joists (watch pipes/cables) not just into the top of the existing boards. Personally I prefer to completely replace the floor with 18-25mm WBP ply, depending on joist size/pich/span.

Travertine tiles - not sure yet what adhesive - I will be tiling the walls but - there is 1 wall that has skirting on it and it's behind the rad -shld I remove?
Personally I wouldn’t have skirting in a bathroom if tiling the walls/floors

It's something I read about on the forum. It's an l-shaped beading which goes under the tiles and attaches to the bath - once tiles done a silicon sealer finishes off providing a v watertight seal.
Don’t like them & they can encourage mould growth; also look naf IMO. I only ever a silicon bead, a quality Silicone of the correct type will be 100% waterproof & last years.

I read this was the best way to prime walls for tiling - if not true then what should I use?
That’s very bad advice & could lead to your tiles falling off if you use it in a wet area.
Only use primer if your adhesive manufacturer recommends it; if so it’s likely to be SBR

I'be been recommended to use ready mixed adhesive/grout - water and mould resistant - will this be OK?
Don’t use adhesive/grout combo it’s crap. Don’t use cheap DIY adhesive/grout, use a decent waterproof adhesive & grout; BAL, Mapei, Webber etc. Tub mix is OK for tiles up to 300 x 300, over that use cement powder adhesive; Gypsum plaster must be primed in this case.

Forgot about that - it's on the wall - it's a new and v good one - do I need to take off at the same time as the tiles? Do I need an electrician to do it?
Best to remove it if tiling the area; you don’t specifically require an electrician to remove & replace it but if your have no experience then it may be best.

I'm slightly nervous about how much there is to do! - though it'd be a fairly simple job. :oops:
It's not rocket science but it's not simple either; lots of things can easily catch out the inexperienced as a read through the Forum archive posts will show. You might find this thread useful;
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=225485

Sponsored Links
was looking forward to replying to this post but Richard has beaten me to it. ALL PERFECT ADVICE once again, so theres nothing else i can add, except to say if ya using large trav, its a No No, to tubbed addy, weight issues you know ;)

and definately NO NO NO to PVA

Think the trav is on the floor & havn't got as far as addy yet; white ceramic on walls I think but no size ;)

Think the trav is on the floor & havn't got as far as addy yet; white ceramic on walls I think but no size ;)

sorry Richard, got to far ahead of myself and didnt read the post correctly, just re-read and you are correct, ceramic on walls, trav on the floor.

Is the mixer surface mounted or recessed
- shower I've bought can be surface or recessed - so looks like surface is the way to go as the walls are thin - either that or I'll take it back and trade in for over bath mixer - seems like that'd be much easier although I wouldn't get the benefit of thermostatic control.

to tubbed addy, weight issues

jctiling - erm..... ?????? :confused:

Richard is right - trav on floor and ceramic on walls - ceramic I'm thinking of are 20x30

the more I read the more I realise how much I don't know!!!! - think I may have to put the plumber off for a while to do more research :confused:

Thank you for the fantastic advice and reading directions!

Is the mixer surface mounted or recessed
- shower I've bought can be surface or recessed - so looks like surface is the way to go as the walls are thin - either that or I'll take it back and trade in for over bath mixer - seems like that'd be much easier although I wouldn't get the benefit of thermostatic control.

to tubbed addy, weight issues

Richard is right - trav on floor and ceramic on walls - ceramic I'm thinking of are 20x30

the more I read the more I realise how much I don't know!!!! - think I may have to put the plumber off for a while to do more research :confused:

Hi mate, regarding the size of your tiles ( ceramics) i still would NOT use tubbed addy, i would opt for powdered addy, sorry cant remember if the walls are solid or boarded from your original post, if boarded, you want to use a flexible adhesive and flexible grout.
If you are not very quick at tiling do NOT use a RAPID SET addy,

shower I've bought can be surface or recessed - so looks like surface is the way to go as the walls are thin - either that or I'll take it back and trade in for over bath mixer - seems like that'd be much easier although I wouldn't get the benefit of thermostatic control.
Whats wrong with something like this;
http://www.bathempire.com/thermostatic-shower-with-hand-held-and-riser-rail_p4030366.htm
You can still bury the pipes, it's just the thermo mixer body that can cause problems

JCT is referring ot the maximum weight of tiles redi mix tub wall addy can accept; it can only be used for tiles size/weight up to 300 x 300, over that & you need cement powder but you cant use that straight onto Gypsum plaster.

No problems; & no intention of putting you off, it’s just that you need to research it thoroughly first as it’s easy to make expensive mistake when you inexperienced; & sometimes even when your experienced & should know better! :LOL:

Richard is correct with the weight ratio to which i was referring, My personal choice when fixing any tile larger than 200x200 is powdered adhesive, you will find a lot of tile fixers who wont/dont use tubbed addy on tiles over 100x100. Its really a personal thing with knowledge gained over 32 years with me mate.

you guys have been great - tks for link Richard - That's v similar to the shower I bought so if it's only the pipes to be buried I guess I'll stick with it.

I haven't been put off I had a feeling there was more to it - I'll be searching online for a proper builders merchant in my area rather than the DIY stores so I can get the good stuff -may cost more to do in the first place but it'll be a solid job and will last for years. (hopefully)

I'm just so glad you're here sharing your years of knowledge - you ROCK

do you not have a CTD ( ceramic tile distributors) close by you ?
a tile distributor will be your best way to go, as you will get the correct adhesives, grouts etc for your needs

do you not have a CTD ( ceramic tile distributors) close by you

First time I've heard of them.... just checked 1hr drive and closes at 6 weekdays so won't get chance to go b4 next w/e.

will look at internet for BAL mapei and Webber -

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back