Replacing Boiler - BG Quote

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Like many others who post here sporadically, I only seem to get here when I have a problem; however, I am really appreciative of the great advice I get.

I have an 'OLD' Concord WRS 40, which has sprung a leak. Not surprising, as they stopped making these in 1976!! So, nearly 40 years of use is good going.

Last week the BG service engineer pointed out a leak and effectively said that, although it is still usable at this time for hot water, it will need replacing before the winter.

Long story short, I got a quote from British Gas, which, with a generous discount of £250 if I order by Friday, comes in at a couple of quid under five thousand!! Ouch!! it hurts to even type that!

I told him I wanted a down and dirty 'Boiler out - Boiler in' option, and wasn't looking to upgrade anything else unless it was absolutely necessary. His quote if for a Worcester Greenstar 15Ri, High Efficiency Boiler. He then tells me that I will also need a new hot water tank (although the one I have is only two years old), that all the valves on my radiators will need to be changed; together with a list of other works, like ME bonding, Powerflush, etc.

I think the quote is ridiculous, but my main questions is: Just how much of what he is saying is absolutely necessary? If my boiler has sprung a leak, why can't I just have it replaced without having to spend a fortune upgrading my entire central heating system?

I think I've been quoted on what the engineer wants me to have, as opposed to what I want (and can afford to pay).

Sponsored Links
Whenever a boiler is replaced, the new boiler and the whole system has to be brought up to date and meet the current Building Regulations.

What has to be done is set out in The Domestic Heating Compliance Guide

By the way, BG are nearly always the most expensive, so it pays to get at least three written quotes from recommended installers.

If the boiler manufacturer insists on a powerflush, you will need one; otherwise the guarantee may not be honoured.

Two written quotes will probably suffice if the second one floats your boat.

Remember, every quote visit and write up is reflected in the costs of the installations carried out by the company/sole trader.

So by getting a lot of quotes, you are raising the cost for everybody and benefitting nobody.

The BG person has a limited repertoire of products, limited time on site, and is often of limited experience in the job. And if you sign up, you are quite likely to get a subcontractor who is working on limited time and margins.

If this isn't compelling ask around for a recommendation amongst friends, work colleagues, family etc. NB: Ignore the ones who live in a rat infested tip because their idea of a good tradesman may not be yours.

Had a quick read of The Domestic Heating Compliance Guide, what a depressing document !
Surely customers would rather rely on the professional skills of qualified installers.

Sponsored Links
Just done a similar job to yours last week. Everything that BG has said you needed £2820 + VAT.

Unfortunately I couldn't offer the £250 discount though, but they did get a guaranteed quote for 30 days.

Just done a similar job to yours last week. Everything that BG has said you needed £2820 + VAT.

Unfortunately I couldn't offer the £250 discount though, but they did get a guaranteed quote for 30 days.

I note you live in Norwich: I don't suppose you fancy doing a job in Thetford?

Like the OP I've just had a BG mega-quote and one thing he said that the ME bonding would need to be changed (£112) but he couldn't explain why. (Except to say that if I had anyone else changed the boiler and they didn't do it, BG would turn off the supply the next time they visited the premises.)

The meter (external wall cupboard) is bonded where the pipe leaves the meter and goes through the wall i.e. consumer side. The house is 28 years old so does anyone know what the change should be please to comply with new regs?

While I'm here could anyone say what make a BG 330+ boiler really is - BG quote a supply price of £2k!

Thanks from a newbie.

BG engineers need your permission to turn off supply, although if its considered ID they could ring the gas supplier who can cut it off without permission.

Try getting an electrician to check ME bonding is up to current regs.

BG330+ is a glowworm boiler, similar to hxi.

BG engineers need your permission to turn off supply, although if its considered ID they could ring the gas supplier who can cut it off without permission.

I am told by people who have had the supply cut off by BG that they were not given any option but are just told that it has to be cut off!

In many cases the whole supply is cut off even though in most cases it could have been isolated to leave the cooker working.

I once tried to get an ID supply turned off outside by the shipper when the tenant refused me access. Transco just told me that they only do that in extreme cases like a fire in progress!

Tony

I am told by people who have had the supply cut off by BG that they were not given any option but are just told that it has to be cut off!

In many cases the whole supply is cut off even though in most cases it could have been isolated to leave the cooker working.

I once tried to get an ID supply turned off outside by the shipper when the tenant refused me access. Transco just told me that they only do that in extreme cases like a fire in progress!

Tony

just because these things happen, doesn't make it right

I note you live in Norwich: I don't suppose you fancy doing a job in Thetford?

You're only approx 30 mins away, drop me an email from my profile.

All quotes are free and my boilers come with a 3 year manufacturers warranty as standard ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back