replacing celing light, new light has different connectors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys,

Wonder if anyone can help, bit of noob here but I've had ago and but am a bit stumped.

I've want to replace our upstairs and downstairs hall lights, the problem is that the new lights have completely different wiring connectors.

This is my current setup, which has a live, Neutral and a loop

34o4j14.jpg

and here is the new fitting, which is completely different, there doesn't appear to be a loop connection.

2wf7p04.jpg

anyone have any idea how to connect them up??

I the light switches control both upstairs and downstairs lights, if that makes an difference.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
It actually has the same connections.

The black on it's own is L
The remaining blacks go to N
The earths goes to the earth terminal with the earth symbol
The reds go to the unmarked terminal.

If there isn't much slack on the cables, you may have to form a joint and run a short cable to the light fitting.

fantastic, thankyou very much. I can pull those cables down from the ceiling by a few inches so that should be enough.

Can the reds going into the new terminal in any order, I mean any 2 into one side and any other red into the other?

Cheers again
Kev

It actually has the same connections.

The black on it's own is L
The remaining blacks go to N
The earths goes to the earth terminal with the earth symbol
The reds go to the unmarked terminal.

Sponsored Links
It doesn't really matter which end of the block the wires go in.

In the case of the three reds, I would say it's better practice to push all three in the same end, but this will depend if all three will fit the hole.

Don't confuse the single black with the other two blacks, or you will have problems.

The single black should be marked red with coloured sleeving (or red tape will suffice).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back