Replacing consumer unit - need junction box (SCOTLAND)

Hi Gees,
The Freezer, washing machine and tumble drier are all in the garage (where all cables are easily accessible) so I intend either to upgrade the garage radial feed to a full ring or provide a dedicated radial feed for these appliances (or maybe both).

BTW, what is an FCU?

I'm not sure why the shaver socket gets its own decicated radial feed from the fuse box but I don't see any reason to change it at this point?

Cheers,

ip

:idea: Try googe :idea:

Sponsored Links
ahhhhh, a fused connection unit.

As it happens, the doorbell psu is right next to the fuse box (and is a late addition) so I guess they just hooked it up to the spare fuse on the end.

Cheers,

iep

Methinks IEP has opened a can of worms here.
No one has mentioned the colour of the existing wiring yet. ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

all done in 1978 so good old red and black.

Sponsored Links
Okay, you've lost me. It's all done in twinand earth of the appropriate gauge but, due to the age of the installation, the insulation is red and black.

What would be the problem?

iep

I don't see a problem (that is why I'm asking).

My best guess would be that some rule exists that limits how/where brown/blue and red/black twin and earth can be combined?

I don't see an electrical issue since the copper gauge and insulation type are comparable (if not identical) to modern brown/blue wiring.

As it happens, I have access to a small stockpile of old red/black twin and earth so I could just use that if I really wanted to cover my tracks.

iep

I don't see a problem (that is why I'm asking).

My best guess would be that some rule exists that limits how/where brown/blue and red/black twin and earth can be combined?

I don't see an electrical issue since the copper gauge and insulation type are comparable (if not identical) to modern brown/blue wiring.

As it happens, I have access to a small stockpile of old red/black twin and earth so I could just use that if I really wanted to cover my tracks.

iep

Why would you want ( or need ) to do that?

To cover my tracks! I'm not really suggetsing this.

Still none the wiser though as to why my old red/black wring should be an issue.

Discussed it with electrician who was here at my work this morning to do the anual PAT stuff and he couldn't think of any problems either.

So, still baffled.

Cheers,

iep

Isn't it funny how everyone thinks that changing to a 'modern CU' will suddenly make the electrical installation safe.

Does a new engine in a car suddenly make those sh1te brakes better ?

To cover my tracks! I'm not really suggetsing this.

Still none the wiser though as to why my old red/black wring should be an issue.
Discussed it with electrician who was here at my work this morning to do the anual PAT stuff and he couldn't think of any problems either.

So, still baffled.

Cheers,

iep

It isnt... harmonized wiring has been with us long before the part P of the building regulations. My own home here is a mixture and has been for years. Provided the correct warning labels are in place there should not be any problem at all.

That's what I thought, so I still don't understand the previous posts.

JoinerJohn and Ban-All-Sheds, if there really is an issue I should be aware of, please let me know.

Cheers,

iep

Hi ricicle,
I don't expect the new C.U. to make an unsafe system safe, I just want the convenience of switched MCBs/RCBOs (not that a fuse has ever blown yet) and the improved safety of an RCD for the ring main (particularly in the garage).

The existing wiring is neatly installed (most of it is accessible in the loft space) and uses modern materials and a sensible combination and number of circuit types (rings, radials etc). My only plannned mod is to add a ring main to the garage to cope with the extra load of the washing machine and freezer that did not used to be kept in there.

Cheers,

iep

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back