Replacing double glazed unit into exisiting frame.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old uPVC DG unit on a conservatory that has been broken.
The beading is on the outside.

I have managed to remove the old unit but now I am wondering what I need to know to fit the new unit and what are the steps to lock the beading in place after the unit is in.

Just trying to find some assistance on the web.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If you managed to keep the old beading intact and the unit is the same depth, just snap them right in.

If not, take a sample of the broken bead to your new DG unit supplier and he'll sort you out, however, if your new DG unit is of greater depth, you're in bother and will have to replace the frame. Not overly costly and I would recommend it for security reasons, replacing with internal beading. Good luck whatever you do.

I have an old uPVC DG unit on a conservatory that has been broken.
The beading is on the outside.

I have managed to remove the old unit but now I am wondering what I need to know to fit the new unit and what are the steps to lock the beading in place after the unit is in.

Just trying to find some assistance on the web.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Well assuming you have the replacement unit already made then before you fit it its best to familiarise yourself on how the beads clip in, there are a multitude of ways different manufacurers use. My advice would be to get one of the shorter beads (assuming the opening is rectangular) and try it in to one of the longer sides without the glass in, this will show you how it clips in without the glass being in the way. Offer the bead up and take note on which groove or channel it clips into, believe me its easier to know this before you end up holding the glass with one hand or your forehead while you work out how the beads work

Good luck :D

Sponsored Links
The same way but in reverse order, put the glass unit in, clip the beading in (shortest length first) push the glass to the beading then bang the rubber sealant in opposite side with a rubber hammer and a block of wood.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back