Replacing Drayton TRV-4 Valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I own an 18 month old property and one of our chrome Drayton TRV-4 valves seems to have gone. Heated water arrives to the valve but doesn't pass through. I haven't had my boiler serviced yet and so the installation plumbing company will not cover the work.

Happy to change the valve myself but as it is a new system just wondered if there are any addtional products I should put onto the connectors to ensure they are correctly sealed. I've sometimes seen gel/wax or wrap arounds used. If so where and what should I buy?

Thanks in advance.

Chris

Sponsored Links
Thanks John. That was my first port of call. It retracts out and still doesn't allow flow of water.

Ok, if you are happy that the other side lock shield valve is open and working, then just swap out the old Drayton, leaving the original rad tail in.
Have some sealant standing by to smear over the original olive, which you can leave alone.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks John. Am I able to buy a white TRV-4 and replace with my chrome handle or do I have to buy a complete unit?

before you change the valve, turn off all the other radiators in the house.

Is the suspect one still cold?

Thanks John. Am I able to buy a white TRV-4 and replace with my chrome handle or do I have to buy a complete unit?

You need to change the complete valve body Chris......but the existing rad tail will match, and the pipe connection into the valve body will too.
I'd go for sealant on the olive though, and maybe a few turns of ptfe if the olive is marked.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back