Replacing existing bathroom wall light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently removed a wall light from my bathroom (which came on with main light), planning to replace it with a new light. I've been trying to get a wall light that's ok for Zone 2, and found some, but all I find have an integral switch.

So my questions.

Can I wire up the new light (with integral switch) and leave permanently on/cut of pull cord to existing wiring so it comes on with the main light?

The existing wiring only has red and black (no sign of earth unless it's been cut back), but lights have an earth terminal - is this a dummy earth, or do I need to get and earth wire put in?

Sponsored Links
If it's Class I ie metal it needs an earth, if it's Class II ie double insulated it doesn't need an earth. Class II has a square within a square shown somewhere on the fixture.

Thanks, I've tracked down an earth wire that's been cut back, i'll have fun this weekend trying to connect a new wire to it.

What about connecting a wall light with an itegral switch? Can I remove the cord and leave it permanently on so it goes on and off with the ceiling light?

Sponsored Links
There's not many, I want one to go above a mirror, not vertical ones (which are more likely not to have integral switches), the few I do find are getting on for £100.
Some don't look to have pull cords in the picture but when you read the description they have cords.

If there are so many without switches give me a link to them.

There are two on the first of 6 pages of bathroom lights on the first website out of 375,000 hits I got when I Googled for UK pages with the search string "bathroom lighting".

http://www.lighting-direct.co.uk/bathroom-lighting-c-56.html

You can widen your choice by looking at outdoor lights as well - they aren't all reproduction Victorian carriage lamps or pedestrian underpass bulkheads these days....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back