Replacing felt and laths

I will trim my underlay so that it finishes under the cloak.

Any tips for applying the mortar? I suspect this is one bit I could make a real mess of!

I've always understood that the underlay/membrane should finish on top of the undercloak.

I've found the easiest way is from on the roof, working from the eaves upwards, obviously, with a bucket of mortar, just do the minimum amount of tiles necessary in each course so that you are always working from on the tile battens, until you reach the top.

Bearing in mind you may have to disturb any previously laid tiles for the adjacent ones to be positioned. So lay sufficient in each course that you don't disturb the verge tiles.

You may find that nailing the tiles tends to disturb the mortar, so that some tidying up is required. I have held something against the bottom edge of the tile before now to prevent mortar sliding down while nailing.

I use a mix of sharp and soft sand. Sharp for durability, soft for workability.

You can then complete each course later.

Of course, if you have two verges to do, you'll need to work out your tile spacing to achieve full tile spaces to be filled in.

Sponsored Links
http://www.roofconsult.co.uk/articles/tiling/tips13.htm

Definitely says underlay is under the undercloak.

OK, I stand corrected, again. :eek: :cry:

But have I spotted a deliberate error.
Your upper board should overlap your lower board. Although, I've always ceated a butt joint. In fact, in France, I used a slate undercloak, so there were many butt joints.

http://www.roofconsult.co.uk/articles/tiling/tips13.htm

Definitely says underlay is under the undercloak.

OK, I stand corrected, again. :eek: :cry:

But have I spotted a deliberate error.
Your upper board should overlap your lower board. Although, I've always ceated a butt joint. In fact, in France, I used a slate undercloak, so there were many butt joints.

Been a few years since i used an undercloak but i butt jointed mine as well...looks tidier.

Sponsored Links
"Your upper board should overlap your lower board"

Well spotted! Too late now!

If thats the only mistake then I will be happy!

Oh dear, not very proud of my pointing.

Not ideal weather for doing a roof!

Just need to tidy up tomorrow. will post a few pics. Thanks for your help everyone!

I still have to trim the membrane, at the moment it sticks out under the undercloak. I presume I should of cut it off to finish under the cloak because now it will be a pathway for water?

What should I do now? Just cut it as close as I can and maybe skim over with mortar?

Angle your knife and cut it in as far as possible, You could run a bead of silicone along the underside of the cloak if its not too big a gap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back