Replacing fluorescent light with a standard bulb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a fluorescent light in the kitchen that I want to convert into a standard candescent light. Looking at wiring diagram below, there is only a live and neutral cable that feed the fluorescent ballast and bulb.

Can I disconnect the fluorescent fitting and wire up the new candescent bulb as shown in the photo, where there is no connection to the "loop" block in the celing rose?
So the live that went into the original ballast shown in the photo will go into the "line" block on the celing rose and the original neutral that went to the fluorescent bulb is going to be connected to the "neutral" block in the celing rose?

Attachments

• florescent light circuit.jpg
    florescent light circuit.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 27
  • ceiling rose no loop.png
    ceiling rose no loop.png
    260.2 KB · Views: 26
Sponsored Links
when i look at diagrams and videos for fitting a ceiling rose, there is always a connection to loop in and if there is another light after the one in question, there is a loop out so i wasn't sure if i could just skip this "loop" block connection as videos which show how to connect a fluorescent light don't have a "loop" connection and there is only one power cable with live and neutral on it.

most of the diagrams and videos that i see for flourescent lighting don't have an earth cable, just neutral and live. I haven't yet dismantled my light so if it is as shown in the diagram, and there is no earth cable, is it safe to connect the ceiling rose without the earth connection?

are all fluorescent light wiring without an earth cable as most of the videos have no earth shown?

are all fluorescent light wiring without an earth cable as most of the videos have no earth shown?
the diagrams may not show the earth, but since fluoro fittings are usually metal, they certainly do need an earth - there's usually somewhere to connect it (to the metal of the fitting) somewhere near the point of cable entry.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
the diagrams may not show the earth, but since fluoro fittings are usually metal, they certainly do need an earth - there's usually somewhere to connect it (to the metal of the fitting) somewhere near the point of cable entry.

Kind Regards, John
Great. Thanks!

most of the diagrams and videos that i see for flourescent lighting don't have an earth cable, just neutral and live. I haven't yet dismantled my light so if it is as shown in the diagram, and there is no earth cable, is it safe to connect the ceiling rose without the earth connection?

Your florescent hopefully does/did have an earth connect, it is a requirement. A straightforward lamp holder and incandescent lamp, will not need an earth, so just ignore the earth terminal.

Your diagram for the florescent, is just to explain the operation of such a fitting, it ignores the need for an earth.

Your florescent hopefully does/did have an earth connect, it is a requirement. A straightforward lamp holder and incandescent lamp, will not need an earth, so just ignore the earth terminal.

Your diagram for the florescent, is just to explain the operation of such a fitting, it ignores the need for an earth.

why does a straightforward lamp holder for a basic incendescent bulb not need an earth?

I remember while still at home so likely around 1964 my dad buying a fluorescent lamp which plugged into the BA22d lamp socket. However latter when looking for a class II light fitting around 2006 I could not find any straight class II fluorescent fittings, however did find a 2D fitting which was class II.

I look at the 1966 change, and even before then, it stated "Lighting fittings using filament lamps" in the exemption for earthing, so even before 1966 fluorescent lamps needed an earth taking to them, even if not used.

It also talked about "installed in a room having a non-conducting floor, mounted at such a height that they cannot readily be touched and are out of reach of earthed metal." so would have been hard to have satisfied the regulations.

The PIR latter called an EICR was to be done every 10 years, however I never remember one being done, but if faults not found within the 10 years, it would be hard to try claiming from the installer. I have worried about missing errors and some one trying to claim. However since code 4 was dropped not complying with current edition, so we only have to report items potentially dangerous, so with a class II fitting hard to code as code C2.

I remember while still at home so likely around 1964 my dad buying a fluorescent lamp which plugged into the BA22d lamp socket. However latter when looking for a class II light fitting around 2006 I could not find any straight class II fluorescent fittings, however did find a 2D fitting which was class II.

I remember those, they balanced rather awkwardly, hanging from the lampholder.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back