Replacing foil backed plasterboard ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Currently ripping out an old bathroom to refurb and the ceiling had to come down due to bad solder joints and leaking pipes above. It will now have a toilet and basin only.

The plasterboard that has been taken down was foil backed which I understand is a vapour barrier. This is in a single story extension to the front of the house. What would of been the reason for the barrier? I assume to control the amount of vapour entering the cold roof space above. The foil backed plasterboard also extends to the porch next to the cloakroom which is in the same extension.

If I do need to replace the vapour barrier can I use the polythene sheeting to give me the same result?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
You'd say it was worth replacing the vapour barrier then? In guessing it was put in for a reason. Just threw me as every loft I've been in I've never noticed foil backed below the insulation.

Guessing I'd need to use an adhesive/sealant round the edges of the polythene too to make sure it's as effective as possible.

Sponsored Links
Its not required by B Regs so thats why you don't see them much. I believe they are more common in Europe as they are required by legislation.

why don’t you just replace like for like.
the foil back have thermal properties that polythene doesnt.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back