Foil backed plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
May appear a stupid question this, but a few years ago, i plasterboarded the attic ceiling with the foil on the inside, plasterboard face on the outside for skimming. Did this as a vapour barrier rather than use sheeting. Did i di this the right way only someone i know recently said the foil side is outward facing, or r they pullling my leg ?

Sponsored Links
On the foil side of the plasterboard is not for the plastering or skim to go onto. Basically you shouldn't see it. It's for moisture resistance and reflect heat back into the room.

don't undertstand that reply. The plasterboard came with one side foiled, one side bare plasterboard, when held upto the roof, the foil side was facing the roof felt, the bare plaster side was facing was then skimmed

cpickering said:
don't undertstand that reply.
Nor did I, that's why I've edit it :LOL:
cpickering said:
The plasterboard came with one side foiled, one side bare plasterboard, when held upto the roof, the foil side was facing the roof felt, the bare plaster side was facing was then skimmed
That's correct, the paper for plastering.

Sponsored Links
yes youve put the boards the right way and im pretty sure the foil deflects the heat back out so the room is not like a sauna on a sunny day "if we ever get one" .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back