Replacing hearth tiles

Discussion in 'General DIY' started by julesg007, 8 Oct 2008.

1. julesg007

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I need to replace the hearth tiles of a Victorian fireplace as they have all cracked and many are missing.

If I use tiles, are there specific tiles and adhesive that need to be used - thinking about the high temperature that will be generated in use.

I was considering just using a piece of marble/slate/limestone or similar, again what would the best adhesive be?

If there is anything else that would be useful I would be grateful for any advice.

Thanks for all your help

Jules

2. Stivino

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I have a marble hearth that went in about 15 years ago. A stonemason friend of mine told me at the time that it would would crack but I went ahead and fitted it, partly because I liked it and partly because I got it for free. The fireplace is in the dining room so it was only intended for occasional use but wife liked it and used it a lot so it did crack.
    I've just had another fireplace in the house re-tiled. I'm not sure what adhesive the tiler used as I wasn't in when he did it but it I don't think he used special adhesive as he said he doesn't usually do fireplaces, but it seems to be ok. HTH.

3. Symptoms

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    jules - the cracked tiles were more likely damaged by dropped fire tools, pokers, tongs, etc. than by heat. These tiles would have been originally set in a mortar bed (maybe even a sand/cement mortar as opposed to a lime mix); this will have become friable/loose or the adhesion has failed, hence the missing tiles. Clean off the old tiles & mortar bed down to the concrete pad. I'd re-tile using salvaged originals from a reclamation yard or as a fall-back, repros (yuk!!). Fix with sand/cement mortar mix or use a proprietary cement-based tile adhesive.