Replacing immersion heater timer with weird wires

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am replacing a very old broken immersion heater timer and I'm stuck so I have 4 wires that came out of my old one which are red, black, blue and brown. I have wired them in where I think they go but can someone please have a look and tell me if this is correct?

I have attached a picture of the fused switch wire connections and a picture of the immersion heater timer.

TIA

Attachments

• PXL_20230514_172705979.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230514_172705979.MP.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 91
  • PXL_20230514_172751894.jpg
    PXL_20230514_172751894.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 95
Sponsored Links
It looks logical - but the first picture isn't very clear.

Are you just checking before switching on - or does it not work?

Does the old timer have a fuse? It looks like a spur.

The new timer isn't fused.

It looks logical - but the first picture isn't very clear.

Are you just checking before switching on - or does it not work?
I'm just checking as I have tried the wires in all different locations and the lights come on but heating doesn't fire up.

So from the first picture the blue and brown wires seem to come from outside from the boiler and the red and black come from the fused switch socket

Sponsored Links
Does the old timer have a fuse? It looks like a spur.

The new timer isn't fused.
No it doesn't have a fuse. I have attached pictures of the old timer

Attachments

• PXL_20230514_180649571.jpg
    PXL_20230514_180649571.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 62
  • PXL_20230514_180656639.jpg
    PXL_20230514_180656639.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 72
  • PXL_20230514_180834113.jpg
    PXL_20230514_180834113.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 71
I'm just checking as I have tried the wires in all different locations and the lights come on but heating doesn't fire up.
Heating? What’s the stat set at on the immersion? Is the cylinder already hot?

Heating? What’s the stat set at on the immersion? Is the cylinder already hot?
Right so let me explain this, when I moved into the house to turn the heating on you switched on the fused socket as shown in picture and used the immersion timer (old one shown in picture to set a timer for heating to come on) I know it's very weird but this is the way it is set up for my heating.

Also my immersion heater has never worked from the day I moved in does not heat the water so all of the switches for that have been turned off for the last 9 years.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Do you have any voltage testing instruments,a multimeter for instance ?

That's ok ,but you need to establish if the output from the timers line and neutral are intact.
Is the timer double insulated ,there doesn't appear to be any earth conductors present ?

That's ok ,but you need to establish if the output from the timers line and neutral are intact.
Is the timer double insulated ,there doesn't appear to be any earth conductors present ?
No it's not but the old one wasn't either, but in the fused spur that has an earth in it.

From what you can see from those pictures does it look wired correctly?

If the timer requires an earth connection ,you should provide one ,not that has anything to do with your current issue.
If the wires connected to the line and neutral terminals are in fact truly line and neutrals ,then yes that would be wired as it should be.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back