Replacing intercom handsets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I am new to this site and I thought you might be able to help me.

We have two really, really old entry phones in our flat (block of 70+ flats).

It is called 500 series. We would like to replace it with an comelit easycom phone or something similar to that.

Could you tell me how to find out if this is possible? I read somewhere that if you do it wrong you could screw up the intercom systems for everyone.

Really would appreciate your help.
Thanks 20161115_213112.jpg 20161115_231401.jpg

Sponsored Links
Thank you very much for replying. Would you mind telling me why you say probably not?

Would you know what system I could replace it with?

Thank you

People think you can swop any handset for any brand.... This is not the case ....allways fit the replacement model or it may cause issues with speech quality or total failure . This handset is DC call , most handsets are AC Call ....
A picture of the internals of the handset would be better as I think that handset was also available as a 2 wire version

Sponsored Links
What's the exact model of the existing handset? Bell made several models in the 500 series all with identical or near-identical outward appearance. A clear photo of the inside would be useful.

However the intercom is probably the property of the building freeholder as a common service and you should contact your managing agent for repairs or replacement.

Here the inside of the phone.

May I ask if there isn't something like an ac/dc converter of some sort that one could use?

Very much appreciate your advise.
Thank you.
20161116_221044.jpg

I am not planning on doing this myself. I will get the intercoms contractor we have to do it.

I just want to understand what I can have or not. So I need to look for DC and I presume it's not the two wire system as I can see 6 cables there.

I'd love to move...somewhere nice with a garden. Until that time comes I'll have to make the best with what I got.

It's not a council flat. The management company works for the leaseholders so I have contacted them.

We also had discussions about replacing the whole intercoms system but the costs were very high as all the cabling would have to be replaced.

Other manufacturers' handsets may not be compatible with the system and may damage it. Your intercom contractor will advise what you can have and take responsibility for it. Microphone voltage and impedance rating is not standard, speaker impedance is not standard, buzzer call voltage may be AC, DC, or audio tone, privacy switching especially can be non-standard. The handsfree type you showed usually requires a power supply and the sort of system you have often does not provide both wires of a constant power supply for flats use.

As for replacing the system, if your existing system uses 4+n wiring then that is fairly standard and could be replaced with another 4+n system, or there are 2-wire bus systems which would use two of the existing wires allowing some spares in case there are breakages etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back