Replacing kitchen sink drain basket

Sponsored Links
Get yourself down to the Home Depot and buy a replacement sink waste kit.

Where in Ontario are you :?:

Will i need to remove the drain basket with the waste kit? Because it seems welded on with no obvious way to remove it from the sink (ie. no lock nut)

Thanks. I'm from Toronto.

That six sided grey thing in your photo is the backnut which holds the waste in the sink. If you have a big wrench/spanner (Stilson wrench) this should unscrew and allow you to remove the waste.

If it is siezed up you could split it by cutting up the middle from below with a hacksaw being careful not to mark the sink.

Is the nut metal ? In UK a lot are now plastic.

Sponsored Links
Will i need to remove the drain basket with the waste kit? Because it seems welded on with no obvious way to remove it from the sink (ie. no lock nut)

Thanks. I'm from Toronto.

The large nut will allow basket to be removed when undone.

Toronto my favourite city, go every year to visit family in St Cathrines,
Always in winter though, will do my road trip one year, Van to Tor in a Corvette :D
Nachos in CN restaurant used to be to die for, then they changed the menu :cry:

jobs, yea its a metal backnut... very thin so i will get a sink drain wrench, hopefully that and a new steel basket kit will do. Its about 15 years old.

clf-gas, a convertible in the summer time eh? A train trip is good too, I've heard good reviews from some visitors.[/quote]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back