Replacing kitchen sink - What to do with earth wires?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Apologies if this question has been asked before.

i'm replacing my kitchen sink from plastic to ceramic. The current sink has an earth cable (green/yellow) running from one copper water pipe to another and then to the sink. However the new sink doesn't have a clip for this. So when i disconnect the existing what do i do with the earth wire?

As i understand these wires are there to stop electrical current reaching the taps which could cause a shock?

Sorry if this sounds stupid, complete novice with diy.

Sponsored Links
Equipotential bonding is no longer required in kitchens.

There should be an "earth" wire connecting the incoming water pipe to the earth terminal on the consumer unit/fuseboard, however. It should be attached to the incoming water main near the stop cock.

Equipotential bonding is no longer required in kitchens.

Isn't that just in the case of RCD protection for all circuits within the kitchen? Or are kitchens treated differently again?

Kitchens are not a special location.

Incidentally, I notice your location says "Jersey, United Kingdom". When I lived in Jersey it wasn't in the United Kingdom. Lovely island/bailiwick though.

Sponsored Links
Ceramic sinks still have metal taps and pipes going to them, last time I checked.

Nozzle

i'm replacing my kitchen sink from plastic to ceramic. The current sink has an earth cable (green/yellow) running from one copper water pipe to another and then to the sink.
Out of interest, HOW is it attached to the plastic sink?

However the new sink doesn't have a clip for this. So when i disconnect the existing what do i do with the earth wire?
Remove it.

And what effect do you think that has on the ceramic sink?

None whatsoever.

Metal sink, metal taps, only one element bonded to earth = happy days
Ceramic or plastic sink, metal taps, bonded to each other and to earth = happy days
Ceramic or plastic sink, metal taps, only one of them bonded = bad days
Ceramic or plastic sink, metal taps, neither of them bonded = bad days

Nozzle

Ah. I see your point.

However -
The current sink has an earth cable (green/yellow) running from one copper water pipe to another and then to the sink.

The fact is, though, that supplementary bonding is not required in a kitchen.

The fact is, though, that supplementary bonding is not required in a kitchen.

I don't know what the requirements are, all I know is that without sufficient earth bonding the protection may not work when you most need it to. Whose brainwave was it, and in which trade "body" decided that scrimping on safety/protection was a good idea? You'd think as 'ealth and safety being as it is these days then the trade bodies would alter their requirements to a standard in excess of what is reasonably required, rather than to the absolute minimum.

Nozzle

I don't know what the requirements are, all I know is that without sufficient earth bonding the protection may not work when you most need it to. Whose brainwave was it, and in which trade "body" decided that scrimping on safety/protection was a good idea? You'd think as 'ealth and safety being as it is these days then the trade bodies would alter their requirements to a standard in excess of what is reasonably required, rather than to the absolute minimum.
I think one thing you are probably overlooking is that unnecessary bonding (e.g. of a metal sink and taps which were currently electrically 'floating' because of plastic parts in the plumbing system) can actually increase hazards. Simply bonding such things together (what some people call 'cross-bonding') will not do any harm (but won't really do any good, either) - but if, as with standard supplementary bonding, one also connects them to earth, one can increase hazards.

Kind Regards, John

As i understand these wires are there to stop electrical current reaching the taps which could cause a shock?

I hate to be pedantic, but I believe its the current reaching you, rather than the taps, that causes the shock.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back