Replacing old shower - melted junction block inside

Sometimes I think people take the "water in a hose" analogy too far...
I think one has to recognise that a goodly few of the general public do not understand the difference between voltage and current (and, indeed, confirm the presence of 'current' at an accessory with a voltmeter, or a ....!). To them, 'lots of current' could well represent a shock hazard.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I think one has to recognise that a goodly few of the general public do not understand the difference between voltage and current (and, indeed, confirm the presence of 'current' at an accessory with a voltmeter, or a ....!). To them, 'lots of current' could well represent a shock hazard.
True.

But why do they not think that their ignorance should disqualify them from posting?

True. But why do they not think that their ignorance should disqualify them from posting?
What makes you think that they would be aware of their misconception? Indeed, I'm struggling to understand how one could actually 'be aware of a misconception' without it ceasing to be a misconception!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
What makes you think that they would be aware of their misconception?
Are you suggesting that they are so lacking in self-awareness that they don't realise that they cannot answer the question "What is the difference between voltage and current?", or "What is the difference between volts and amps?"

Indeed, I'm struggling to understand how one could actually 'be aware of a misconception' without it ceasing to be a misconception!
The fact that when they examine their knowledge they realise that they don't have a clue what the difference is.

Are you suggesting that they are so lacking in self-awareness that they don't realise that they cannot answer the question "What is the difference between voltage and current?", or "What is the difference between volts and amps?"
I'm suggesting that if they have a belief (which, unknown to them, is not correct - i.e. a 'misconception') about the meaning of voltage, current, volts and amps, there is no reason why they should think (let alone 'realise') that they could not answer such questions satisfactorily.

Kind Regards, John

That simply doesn't work.

If you ask them the question "what is the difference...", can they answer it? Never mind if the answer is wrong, what matters here is is the answer anything other than "I don't know"?

That simply doesn't work. If you ask them the question "what is the difference...", can they answer it?
You asked if I was suggesting that they didn't realise that they could not answer the questions. As I said, unless/until someone asked the questions, there would probably be no reason why they should realise that the questions needed asking, let alone realise that they could not answer them. One should attempt to improve the knowledge of others, hence reduce their ignorance - rather than being critical or disparaging about their lack of omniscience.

You're obviously having a boring Saturday afternoon - presumably not a follower of rugby!

Kind Regards, John

BAS's responses remind me forcibly of the expected Asperger's Sally-Anne test responses (qv).

I am not saying this with any malice - believe me! - my son has Asperger's, so it is just familiar territory.

BAS's responses remind me forcibly of the expected Asperger's Sally-Anne test responses (qv).
Yes, I suppose that is essentially true. However, in context, I personally regard it as "just BAS" (which is a label in itself!)!

FWIW, I also have a fairly close family member with Asperger's - so, as with you, that subject is fairly familiar territory.

Kind Regards, John

Anyway, I agree with the poster, that in the event of an arcing/overheating fault at 45A I'd rather not be standing near it while naked.

Anyway, I agree with the poster, that in the event of an arcing/overheating fault at 45A I'd rather not be standing near it while naked.
Agreed, if there weren't some barrier between the arcing and my naked skin.

Kind Regards, John

You asked if I was suggesting that they didn't realise that they could not answer the questions.
I was.

Why don't they?

Why do they think they can make pronouncements, give advice etc, without once asking themselves if they actually understand the subject?

As I said, unless/until someone asked the questions, there would probably be no reason why they should realise that the questions needed asking, let alone realise that they could not answer them.
Of course there is a reason - it's called self-awareness.

One should attempt to improve the knowledge of others, hence reduce their ignorance - rather than being critical or disparaging about their lack of omniscience.
I'm being neither.

If I am critical of anything, it is the behaviour of people who must realise that they don't know what they are talking about wrt giving advice.

You're obviously having a boring Saturday afternoon - presumably not a follower of rugby!
I'm neither.

Interesting to note though that you and Detlef have reverted to type - finding yourselves utterly lacking anything rational to argue with, you try to dismiss what I say as the output of someone who is bored, and he kicks his tired, pathetic, theory of Aspergers into life once more.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back