Replacing old wall ties

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I live in an end of terrace Victorian house that has suffered bowing to the external side wall at some point. This has been remedied by the installation of the old style wall ties consisting of an external metal disc that is bolted to a large threaded bolt which is in turn welded to a flat metal bar that is screwed across the top of a number of floor joists. There are four ties equally spaced at both levels.

I have discovered that one of these metal bars has been shortened considerably by a builder we had to do some work in the loft in order that he could relocate the access hatch. I now only screws into 1 joist.

Would it be possible to have this strengthened by removing the old disk and using one of the newer rods drilled through the joists and secured using epoxy? Also would this be possible to do externally without having to lift the floor in the loft room above the joists?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
How many ties doe you already have in place? It might well be OK and I doubt you could do this externally without potentially drilling through cables etc inbetween the joists.

Our house is a Victorian Semi with patress plates and ties bars that go all the way through both houses - which is a fair distance. We've only got four of them though and that is to support a pretty substantial 3 storey wall.

If you are really worried then you should get a structural engineer to asses it and the builder should put it right as he caused the problem (if indeed there is a problem).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back