Replacing Power Shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My shower stopped working recently due to a leak and therefore I thought I would replace the unit with its modern version. However, when I removed the shower I have observer several things: The old shower circuit that comes from the shower isolator switch has a burnt wire and melted wire and was not being used. Instead the shower was connected to a 0.5mm twin wire (with earth) cable originating from a 3amp plug plugged into the cellar plug socket over a 10 m cable.

I want to make sure I replace the shower correctly so please can someone advise me the best way to do this. I was thinking that I should use 1mm twin cable and fit a proper isolator switch coming off the cellar circuit. Also will I need to get any electrical work like this approved and certified by an electrician?

P.S. The power shower I am replacing is a 130watt Triton Power Shower with internal pump and no water heater.

Thanks for any advice,

Gary

Sponsored Links
If you are in England or Wales then this work is notifiable to your Local Area Building Control under Part P of the Building Regulations.A registered electrician will be able to carry out this work for you but if you intend to do it yourself it should be done to current wiring regulations and you will pay a fee to the LABC for them to inspect the work.
Although not currently a requirement it would be advisable to fit a 30mA RCD to the shower pump.A 1.0mm² cable will be fine backed up by a 3A plugtop fuse.A switched fuse connection unit with this fuse fitted would be ideal and these are available with RCD should the feed circuit not be already protected by an RCD.

Hi Ricicle,

Thanks for your reply. I have read the Part P Regulations and understand that if I add a new circuit or significantly alter and existing circuit I will need to get permission from the local authority and also get the work examined by an electrician.

However, what about if I upgraded the existing wire to a 1mm2 wire and then added a 30ma RCD at the plug end that plugs into the cellar circuit? The Triton power shower does not have an external pump and does not heat the water so does not pull as much power as a normal shower (130watt). According to the regulations this would be upgrading a wire on a circuit. Or am I grasping at straws ;)

Thanks for all your help.

Gary

Thanks for your reply. I have read the Part P Regulations and understand that if I add a new circuit or significantly alter and existing circuit I will need to get permission from the local authority and also get the work examined by an electrician.
That's not a very good understanding of what is and is not notifiable - go here and skip down to Schedule 2B for the definitive list.

Plus you don't need "permission" from the local authority, and if you notify and therefore pay them it is their responsibility to inspect & test.

However, what about if I upgraded the existing wire to a 1mm2 wire and then added a 30ma RCD at the plug end that plugs into the cellar circuit? The Triton power shower does not have an external pump and does not heat the water so does not pull as much power as a normal shower (130watt). According to the regulations this would be upgrading a wire on a circuit. Or am I grasping at straws ;)
A flex plugged in does not count as fixed wiring.

BUT - having an appliance in one room and its plug in another room, on a different floor, is not good practice.

Sponsored Links
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the help.

OK. So I've now measured everything and at the moment the old shower uses a 1mm (not 0.5mm as I first thought) 3 wire cable that is 3 m in length and connects to a 3 amp plug plugged into a socket in the cellar. This cellar circuit is also connected to the lounge circuit that has my TV, Media PC and AV system plugged into. The old shower has a power rating of 120 watt and in the two year of me living here I have not noticed any problems with this arrangement. However, the old set up does not have an RCD and is not on a dedicated circuit.

I am thinking of using the same wire and replacing the plug socket it plugs into with a RCD plug socket to minimise the risk of shock. The new shower is self-contained with the pump and does not have a heater. The new shower has a power rating of 130 - 150 watt (slightly higher than my old shower).

My first alternative is to add a spur from the cellar plug circuit and fit a hard-wired RCD as well as new 1mm wire to the shower. Would I not have to get this checked by an electrician even if it didn't need local authority permission?

My second alternative is to get an electrician to add a new dedicated shower circuit. I'm worried that this would be very costly and would involve removing the bathroom tiles and damaging the recently decorated rooms.

Thanks for all your help. I am quite technically minded (electronics and computers) but as you can tell this is my first DIY household electrical project so I appreciate all your assistance.

Thanks,
Gary

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back