Replacing shower. Electrics info please.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all.
I placed this topic in the showers section but somebody kindly suggested that I placed the question/query here......

Our Gainsborough Energy 2000x 10.8kW has finally called it a day.

So we are in need of a new shower. Because the shower was a 10.8kW it has a thicker electric cable to supply it and Gainsborough advise that the following should be used in it's place.
The cable is 17mm wide.
http://www.gainsboroughshowers.co.uk/Customer-Services/Replace-an-old-model/#q4008

The models to select from are:-

Gainsborough Stanza 9.5 http://www.gainsboroughshowers.co.uk/shower-store/electric-shower/Stanza-95-white/

Gainsborough 1.5se http://www.gainsboroughshowers.co.uk/shower-store/electric-shower/Gainsborough-105-se/

I have attached a picture of my old shower showing cable and pipe inlets.

Can I install a new one myself (I installed the old one over 15 years ago)?
Is the cable powerful enough/ correct please?
What pitfalls should I look out for please?
Anything else?

Sponsored Links
At 17mm wide, that would indicate a cable with 10mm² conductors.
What size MCB/fuse is in the consumer unit for that circuit?

If it was supplying the 10.8KW shower I would expect the cable would be big enough for the 10.5KW model.

Your shower should (must) be protected by a 30mA RCD. Is it?

Thank you Taylortwocities.

Just had a look at the Consumer Unit and the fuse/UCB states B 50.

Hope this helps.

A 10.5KW shower pulls around 45amps. Assuming the cable is installed properly (e.g. not going through thermal insulation, etc) it is rated at 53A ish).

The 50A MCB is correct, so you are fine to go for the 10.5KW shower.
Did you check out the RCD query?

FYI, the installation manual for the Gainsborough se models, including information re electrical connections, can be found here
http://www.gainsboroughshowers.co.uk/upload/Documents/New Electric Install Guide.pdf

Sponsored Links
Thank you Taylortwocities.

As for the RCD, I am not sure what you mean by it. :confused:

The cable comes from the Consumer unit up into the bathroom and is connected to the shower on/off switch. From there straight to the shower.

As for the RCD, I am not sure what you mean by it. :confused: The cable comes from the Consumer unit up into the bathroom and is connected to the shower on/off switch. From there straight to the shower.
Could you provide a photo of your Consumer Unit, showing the labels etc. for the various breakers?

Kind Regards, John

OK

So you do not have any earth leakage protection on the shower circuit.
This is a must have from a safety point of view.

What is needed is a 30mA double pole RCD. It can be installed at any accessible point along the shower circuit - it is usually most convenient for it to be at the consumer unit end.

The manufacturer of the shower, and the wiring regulations, require this to be fitted.

You would probably need an electrician to install this, as he/she will have the required test equipment to check that the RCD is operating correctly.

Wow! Okay and thanks for that vital info.

Just goes to show how much more strict the reg's have become.

Again thanks to all for your input on this.

Wow! Okay and thanks for that vital info. ... Just goes to show how much more strict the reg's have become.
It's not just bureaucracy. Many would say that a situation in which electricity, water and wet naked human bodies come into close association is just about the most extreme example of a situation in which RCD protection is desirable.

To give a balanced view, a few might try to argue that if all you are doing is replacing an existing shower, using an existing circuit, there may not be a regulatory requirement to bring the circuit up to compliance with current regulations (i.e. add an RCD). However, even if that argument could prevail (and I'm not necessarily convinced that it could), it would probably be a fairly foolish approach to take.

Kind Regards, John

Thanks JohnW2.

I agree. The reg's in this instance are for the safety of the user to which I agree.

Just a hassle that it will cost me extra for the RCD and an electrician to fit it.

Once again, thanks to all for their input. This place has definitely helped. ;)

Thank you OwainDIYer.

2 questions please:-

• What size RCBO?

• What do you mean by 'supplementary bonding in the bathroom'?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back