Replacing shower. Electrics info please.

Thank you Taylortwocities.

Hope you don't mind me asking the same question as it wasn't answered.

• What do you mean by 'supplementary bonding in the bathroom'?

Apologies for the questions. I am presently unemployed and looking at all avenues to get a estimated price together.

(Just had to replace our Combi-microwave as that had broken down too! :( )

Sponsored Links
A RCBO is another solution. ... A Hager ADN150 1 Module 50A Single Pole Type B RCBO 6kA 30mA is what you need.
Indeed, that is another option. I have to say that I did wonder why you previously wrote:
What is needed is a 30mA double pole RCD. ...
Do I take it that there was no particular reason that you specifically talked of a double-pole RCD (other than because any standalone RCD would presumably be DP)?

Kind Regards, John

That did cross my mind but not knowing anything didn't really look into it.

So which is best: single pole or double pole please?

The suggested single pole RCBO looks to be the best option as it doesn't mean I have to break into the cabling (which is behind plaster board, up in the loft etc., etc).

But a double or single pole RCBO?

Thanks,

• What do you mean by 'supplementary bonding in the bathroom'?
It is the green&yellow wires you see connecting together pipes etc.

However,
As your other circuits are not RCD protected either, you will need supplementary bonding in the bathroom.
is confusing because as you have no RCD protection at the moment, there should already be supplementary bonding where required.

Sponsored Links
That did cross my mind but not knowing anything didn't really look into it. ... So which is best: single pole or double pole please? ... The suggested single pole RCBO looks to be the best option as it doesn't mean I have to break into the cabling (which is behind plaster board, up in the loft etc., etc). ... But a double or single pole RCBO?
I don't think anyone has asked you to confirm that there is no sort of RCD/breaker/whatever between your meter and consumer unit. I presume not and, assuming that is the case, then a single pole RCBO should be fine. Double pole ones are unusual in domestic installations, and quite expensive (even single pole RCBOs are much more expensive than MCBs).

Kind Regards, John

Thanks JohnW2.
Your presumptions are correct.
The image requested of my Consumer Unit shows all it is. The Single Phase Watt Meter Reader is outside and goes straight to the CUnit.

So to recap please, I will be okay to buy the Gainsborough 105 SE shower and with the Hager ADN150 1 Module 50A Single Pole Type B RCBO 6kA 30mA 17th Edition (also to be purchased) fitted by an electrician, all should be fine, legal and safe?

Anything else please?

So to recap please, I will be okay to buy the Gainsborough 105 SE shower and with the Hager ADN150 1 Module 50A Single Pole Type B RCBO 6kA 30mA 17th Edition (also to be purchased) fitted by an electrician, all should be fine, legal and safe?
Provided that the cable is OK (which it probably will be), I would have thought so - but you ought to discuss it with your electrician first, to make sure he's happy - and he could probably get the RCBO (and maybe also shower) cheaper than you can. You might also want to get him to confirm that the 'supplementary bonding' (as previously discussed) is also in place in the bathroom.

Others here may have other thoughts, ideas or opinions.

Kind Regards, John

Can I just say a huge thanks to you all! ;)

Fantastic response to all my questions.

You have given me a great in sight (and security) with ALL your info.

When I get it all sorted (soon I hope, young family), I will return and reply with a conclusion, so hopefully others with a similar situation can be helped also.

Thank you so much!:cool:

Sorry but a question has arisen......

If I purchase the suggested Hagar RCBO (above) Hager ADN150 1 Module 50A Single Pole Type B RCBO 6kA 30mA will the 50A MCB still be needed? Or will that come out to be replaced by the Hagar RCBO Please?

Once again, thanks! ;)

Electrically there's no difference.

But you should look carefully at the layout of the new shower:

Are the electric connections and water inlet in the same place as the old shower?

If not you'll need to get pipework and cable runs modified, and that's extra hassle and £££

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back