Replacing slate roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am completely new to this forum and anything and everything to do with DIY, building etc!

My husband and I have just moved back to our house in Spalding after a few years in London and we had a structural survey done. The surveyor has said we need to replace our slate roof, as the survey was only done a couple of days ago I don't know the exact details but he did look into the loft and mentioned that you could see sunlight.

I am hoping you guys could help me with a couple of things, firstly I know it is a hard question to answer but in this area how much would it cost approximately to do this job (we own a semi-detached 3 bed home). Secondly my mum had a really bad experience with a cowboy builder when she was putting up an extension and am terrified of going through the same thing. I know how difficult the whole situation was for her.

What can I do to ensure we get a reputable company and yet not get completely crazy quotes? Again I am aware that it is not always 100% possible to be safe but there must be precautions I can take to at least try and prevent this.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated as I have no idea where to start! :D

Sponsored Links
FMT has directed you to a good place.
The terms "replace the slate roof" are pretty vague. Perhaps you can quote exactly what is in the report. Slates are valuable: " remove slates, re-furbish roof, and replace original, sound slates" makes more financial sense. Or,merely," repair/or replace damaged slates."

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the info regarding FMB, as I mentioned the survey was only done a couple of days ago so haven't received the report yet. I will be able to quote exactly what was covered once I get this.

I thought in the mean time it would be good to get an idea of what I was looking at, in particular cost-wise.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back