Supportng a Roof?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have had a survey done, and the people who put on the roof have used tiles and not slates, as the roof is only supported for tiles.

It's a semi house approx 20ft wide.

How much would it cost to support this roof, and we do in time want to put the attic into another room, would it be easier to do this all in one go.

Any advice would be great

Sponsored Links
If the roof is strong enough for tiles, it's strong enough for slates - tiles are heavier.

Sorry my mistake, It's the other way around.

It's designed to be a slate roof and they put tiles on. Sorry

Also we have just found out that the person had a counsil grant to do the work, now if the counsil did the work are they to blame, and should we contact them before.

i'll try and host a picture, but i'm going to view it tomorrow and will take one then.

Sponsored Links
Hightowermark said:
Also we have just found out that the person had a counsil grant to do the work, now if the counsil did the work are they to blame,
Only if the council did the work then yes.

So if Council got someone else to do it, then we have no come back, but would'nt the council check on things like these.

Thanks

If the Council got someone else to do the work then I would've thought they're responsible as well.

Little update, got a builder friend to see the house today and

The roof was already 'sagged' before it had the tile roof, so it was like that with tiles on aswell. And acording to him it's been supported and may need another one or two, but it's perfectly safe.

The main worry is the other extension roof, as the kicthen chimney stack was not removed and that will have to come down and the roof.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back