Roof terrace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

We currently have a approx 10ft x 9ft bathroom/hallway extension with a flat roof.
We are planning to extend the kitchen alongside this which would have meant a wider flat roof but we now want to create a roof terrace above the bathroom and kitchen instead of a boring flat roof.
It is also a nice afternoon sun spot. The total terrace size would be about 10ft x 16ft.

I don't really know what the contruction of the roof terrace would be apart from finishing with terracotta or slate tiles.

What would be between the bathroom/kitchen ceiling and the terrace tiles? I'm thinking load bearing/support (rsj?), insulation, plywood or boards, waterproof layer of some kind...?

Access would be by replacing current bedroom window with a similar style door.

Also, our neighbours are fine with this idea!

Sponsored Links
You appear to know you will need Planning Permission, that will be the first hurdle despite your neighbour being fine with it, you will also need Building Regs Approval. That will be the second hurdle. There are several variable solutions, generally speaking the roof will become a floor so the joists will need upgrading to take the extra loading, then a good fixing will be required for the handrail, this can involve beefing up the joists or adding a steel ring beam or various other methods. All will require a structural engineers input and unless you are a dab hand at this kind of thing you should employ a good technician to make sure it doesn't leak and doesn't look like a bag of crap.

Have a read through these threads:

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1712621#1712621
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1508374#1508374
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1199178#1199178

Thanks Freddy, some useful info there.

I'm aware of the planning permission issue and I'll be speaking with an architect next week before submitting any plans.

It can't cost too much or it won't be worth doing but it will be a shame to not use such a big space for something other than a flat roof.

I've seen some ridiculous quotes for roof terraces when it really isn't a massive job. I could do most of it myself once I know the building regs requirements and materials involved.

Ideally the terrace will be constructed to have the option of being built on in the future if anyone wanted to do so.

I've seen some ridiculous quotes for roof terraces when it really isn't a massive job. I could do most of it myself once I know the building regs requirements and materials involved.
Only someone who has constructed a roof terrace to an acceptable standard is aware of what is involved with a terrace/balcony.

Constructed cheaply (low end diy jobby) and the thing will be unusable, unsafe, and an eyesore.

It may seem like a simple job but be prepared for disappointment, a few leaks and some wobbly terrace paving.

Sponsored Links
What if the roof terrace isnt directly over the roof, ie one OVER a patio area and attached to side of house. Would PP still be required if it didnt overlook anyone

Only someone who has constructed a roof terrace to an acceptable standard is aware of what is involved with a terrace/balcony.

Constructed cheaply (low end diy jobby) and the thing will be unusable, unsafe, and an eyesore.

It may seem like a simple job but be prepared for disappointment, a few leaks and some wobbly terrace paving.

Ok when I said I'd be doing a lot of the work myself I mean't me and some helpers including builders with experience of such projects.
Ofcourse I want it to be to a high standard and safe otherwise there would be little point in doing it.

What if the roof terrace isnt directly over the roof, ie one OVER a patio area and attached to side of house. Would PP still be required if it didnt overlook anyone

If it doesn't overlook anyone and is not affecting any else's light/views I would still enquire about PP just in case.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back