Guess the cost of the roof terrace - cash prizes to be won!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just kidding about the prizes, sorry! I was looking for some educated guesses as to how much a flat roof terrace would cost to build on the (currently) sloping roof off the back of my property. Some info:

- my flat is top two storeys of a three storey building (converted attic is my top floor)
- the roof in question is over a bedroom and bathroom...room is approx 12ft x 11ft
- the walls of the building at the back are of yellow brick...i imagine building up two of the walls is the easiest way to do this by getting a level surface and I would use similar old bricks rather than new brick
- terrace would overlook some small gardens but there are other terraces on the street
- Property is in NW6, London

I am looking for a steer on what cost range I might expect on this. I want to do the job properly and make the thing bulletproof...as such, I imagine I will need a structural engineer and architect plus builder with roof terrace building experience.

My questions:

- rough price range for all of the work including professional fees and planning
- any recommendations (if allowed on this website) for builders as I have searched online with no luck
- would a steel frame be required? I don't plan on putting heavy plants etc on the terrace and as such thought that maybe extra wooden joists would work
- is outside scaffolding required (if so, I would need to get access from my downstairs neighbour
- rough time to actually build the terrace

ps: one of the pics is of a neighbours hse to the left of my property...included it to show more of the scope of work required

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Do you have planning permission?

No, I don't have planning. I assume i need architects drawings etc for that. I am at the very early stage of wondering whether I can afford everything.

Tks

You'd do better to run your ideas past your planning department. If they start to laugh you won't waste time on it.

Sponsored Links
That would be my next step. Is there any reason they would laugh? A similar property has been done like this a few doors away.

I just want to know whether this is a £10k job or a £20k job or whatever. Having no experience of the planning department I don't want to go to them with a half baked proposal...or can I submit a few pictures to them and ask for their view informally?

£15-20K so many variables and information lacking though so it could be half or double those figures really so make it £7-£40K eg does it need 5m of handrails @£250/m or 15m of glass handrails @ £1000/m? etc Party Wall Acts involved? Just one or several etc etc.

Need to employ a local small works QS for a couple of hours! ;)

Ring the planners and see if you can get an appointment with the duty officer, take some photos, a location plan off goggle maps etc, plenty of info, look on the local planning online register for similar recent similar developments, if you get a meeting take your laptop along to save printing it all off.

Thanks Freddy, thats helpful...I will go that route.

Based on those prices steel handrails i think!! I realise the question is very open...just wanted a ballpark figure for a simple terrace, steel railings with good quality materials covered with a timber decking. I don't want to overinvest in the project and not get the value add if i go to sell.

Thy

£15-20K so many variables and information lacking though so it could be half or double those figures really so make it £7-£40K eg does it need 5m of handrails @£250/m or 15m of glass handrails @ £1000/m? etc Party Wall Acts involved? Just one or several etc etc.

Very true. I was reading the apartments at One Hyde Park have been achieving £6k per foot². Whereas a "normal" construction cost banded around is what £1-1.2k per m². I know that's an extreme example but that's a multiple of over 60 :eek:!

Just shows without a specification and location you may as well stick your finger in the air.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back