Replacing Victorian tiling, need to damproof?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We want to remove original Victorian tiling from our home entrance and replace with some other form eg laminate or tiles. Here s a picture of something similar to whatwe have: http://www.matt-rigby-tiling.co.uk/images/references/7.jpg

Someone mentioned that the concrete base may be laid on compacted earth and we cannot simply cover over with a different floor because if we do not treat it, it could develop mould.

Does anyone have experience with this? How does one check whether this is indeed the case and it is not wooden base, and how can we treat if this is correct? Do we need to excavate and lay a membrane?

The floor is very solid to walk on.

thanks.

Sponsored Links
That's a lovely floor that. I would keep it myself but.....

You could lay a liquid DPM over the tiles then a laminate.

With respect OP but you must be out of your mind to replace a Victorian tiled floor with laminate or modern tile. Dont you understand that such a detail adds sale value and character to your house?

Half the programmes on TV, anywhere you care to name, are chock a block with how to source "antique" items for home fabric and design. I dont think any would advise what you propose?

Sponsored Links
As per above, you would be crazy to replace that floor with laminate or modern tiles. If you don't want the floor then I'd come and dig it up for free if I had the time!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back