Replacing wired fuses (Wylex) with MCBs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Quick question which I hope is straightforward. At the moment our fusebox looks like this;

imag0005xn9.th.jpg

As these are clearly quite old, is it a straight swap to put these in place;

imag0006eb5.jpg

Clearly I would need to replace the brackets behind that are inplace (these are included). Is it that straightforward or would I need to consult with an electrician ?

Many thanks

Richard

Sponsored Links
It is possible and straightforward to fit them, but is notifiable work

Be aware the bar is Live once the backsheilds are removed, and the ELECTRICIAN that fits them needs to change both the shield and the mcb.

There are other factors , concerning whether you are allowed to do it yourself , as you would be altering the circuits

That B16 although will fit is the old range, as opposed to the others which are the newer range

It would look better if all were same type, they are about £7 each i think

tbh you would be best off consulting with an electrician. old circuits like this then i would be wanting to check each circuit and its compliance with regs i.e IR ok? continuity of conductors? zs measurments?

Sponsored Links
we have an electrician coming in friday to test the electrics. I will get his opinion and if he says they are ok i'll get him to fit them...

thanks

IR ok? continuity of conductors? zs measurments?
RCD protection for sockets which could reasonably be expected etc.?
More circuits for better segregation?
Ability to add a shower circuit?
Space for expansion?

A new CU might be the favourite option...

...Be aware the bar is Live once the backsheilds are removed, ...

no it isn't, not if you turn off the main switch of the CU. there is no need to open the front plate of the enclosure.

it is best to only remove one plastic shield at a time, fit the new one, then remove the next. this reduces the chance that you could put one in the wrong way, and also minimises the exposure of the busbar anyway. Fix the circuit labels before you start, so you can check you do not misplace any of the MCBs.

Quite. If, like Cottontop, you have one.

Some of the old Standards have unshielded screws on the incoming terminals of the main switch, but if you only remove one shield at a time, you would need very long and flexible fingers to reach them.

Its actually an RCD, so you may as well 'test' it with the button on the front while you are at it, chances are its been more than 3months since the last time.

(Actually I reckon its got more to do with 'excercising' it than testing it :) )

(Actually I reckon its got more to do with 'excercising' it than testing it :) )
It is - if you don't the mechanism can sieze up.

The other way of testing is the one I always seem to end up using, no matter how careful I am when adding anything, which is to create a N-E fault.... :rolleyes:

The other way of testing is the one I always seem to end up using, no matter how careful I am when adding anything, which is to create a N-E fault.... :rolleyes:

Drop the neutral out at the board?
Change the board to one with RCBOs on every circuit (and finally be able to not have everything go out when someone overfills the iron...)

(seriously hoping that the 17th forces down the prices of RCBOs)

...Be aware the bar is Live once the backsheilds are removed, ...

no it isn't, not if you turn off the main switch of the CU. there is no need to open the front plate of the enclosure.
Thats fairly obvious i would have thought though!
Nothing to stop him removing them with the switch on though, and I was making him aware that the live bar would be exposed

Who said you need to take the front plate off

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back