Replacing wooden conservatory floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One of the previous owners built a brick & wood framed conservatory from a kit. We recently discovered that all the joists were rotten, some more than others.

The conservatory has no air bricks so my plan is to add air bricks and replace the joists. However between the joists and the chipboard flooring the guy had put down some thin plastic sheeting (which almost looks like cling film) and I was just wondering if it makes sense to do something like this?

Sponsored Links
Presumably he thought this might stop damp??

But I wouldn't consider this very good practice, normal moisture procedures would be best. A search on Google for "timber floor build up" will do you fine...pinenot :)

You should not replace the polythene, as part of the ventilation and breathability of the sub floor is via the timber deck

Any air bricks will need to vent across the sub-floor from side to side

Your description of rotting joists sounds like they have rotted at the bearings, in which case you need to take precautions to stop damp getting across from the walls to the joist ends - wrap in polythene or put on hangers. If so, this will have nothing to do with ventilation

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back