Replacing wooden lintels

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning everyone,

I've uncovered a rotten wooden lintel above my windows, and would like some advice on which lintel I need to replace it with.

It spans the full width of the room, no breaks, over the top of two windows.

Screenshot 2023-11-21 at 09.28.08.png
Screenshot 2023-11-21 at 09.28.25.png
Screenshot 2023-11-21 at 09.28.48.png
Screenshot 2023-11-21 at 09.29.05.png
Screenshot 2023-11-21 at 09.29.23.png
It's a solid 9inch brick wall, so this is internal. My plan is to strong boy above, pull this out and replace with concrete. I think two, as I have the required 150 end bearing in the middle between the windows.

Can anyone advise on what lintels I need?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It is more complicated than that. It looks like it is also a bonding timber/wallplate taking the ceiling joists. Are you going to reinstate the ceiling joists? Is that a small gable wall above? How are you going to tie that in and prevent the wall from bulging out? What is supporting the outside of the window opening? Is it a brick arch or possibly a stone lintel?
Lots more questions to answer before you go popping a standard precast concrete lintel in the hole.

It is more complicated than that. It looks like it is also a bonding timber/wallplate taking the ceiling joists. Are you going to reinstate the ceiling joists? Is that a small gable wall above? How are you going to tie that in and prevent the wall from bulging out? What is supporting the outside of the window opening? Is it a brick arch or possibly a stone lintel?
Lots more questions to answer before you go popping a standard precast concrete lintel in the hole.
The ceiling joists are not going back in. They were removed to carry out work on the roof as per structural engineer. there are new rafters and steels going up. outside is a stone lintel.

Screenshot 2023-11-21 at 10.41.10.png

This steel is being replaced. Original wooden valley beam is staying

Sponsored Links
Ordinarily you could just slip in a 65x100mm concrete lintel. But in this case I would check with the structural engineer to make sure they realise the ceiling joists have been removed and there is adequate lateral restraint to the gable wall.

Ordinarily you could just slip in a 65x100mm concrete lintel. But in this case I would check with the structural engineer to make sure they realise the ceiling joists have been removed and there is adequate lateral restraint to the gable wall.
Thanks. The structural engineer has seen it, they know the ceiling joists have been removed, and their plan is being followed with regards to the roof and ceiling. I want to avoid shelling out for SE calculations as to which concrete lintel I need to put in, and was hoping someone here could tell from experience what would do the job.

A 65x100mm concrete lintel should be fine then.
Agree. Assume the lintel is supporting a 1000 wide opening by 1000 high block of brickwork above (assumes no relief due to any loads being transferred sideways to adjacent brickwork as existing brickwork joints don't look all that solid) giving a udl of 2.46kn/m plus a 300mm width of loading from the roof above adding a extra load of 1.5kn/m2 x 0.3 = 0.45kn/m giving total load of 2.91kn/m. Allowable udl for 1350 standard length lintel is about 5kn/m so well within requirements.

Agree. Assume the lintel is supporting a 1000 wide opening by 1000 high block of brickwork above (assumes no relief due to any loads being transferred sideways to adjacent brickwork as existing brickwork joints don't look all that solid) giving a udl of 2.46kn/m plus a 300mm width of loading from the roof above adding a extra load of 1.5kn/m2 x 0.3 = 0.45kn/m giving total load of 2.91kn/m. Allowable udl for 1350 standard length lintel is about 5kn/m so well within requirements.
Nice one, thanks very much for that

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back