Replacment for Potterton Prima 60B

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been reading about my boiler being quite old (approx 17y) and being very inefficiency. Therefore I have made a decision to replace it.

We have a BoilerMate 2 as well which we are quite happy with and would like to leave it.

What boiler would you recommend? As far as i know boiler for the BoilerMate are quite simple without any pumps etc but i'm struggling to find any recommendations.

I would appreciate any advice in this matter.

Sponsored Links
Baxi solo will do it but if your expecting claimed 30%savings this will not be the case

Baxi solo will do it but if your expecting claimed 30%savings this will not be the case

Thanks for advice, i had a look and they seem quite reasonable in price.
What size would you recommend for 4 bed detached?

Web recommends 24H which is bigger the the Potterton we had as it is 17kw i think?

I'd advise keep the boiler and change the BoilerMate for a DHW cylinder.

Why would you recommend that? i have found BM being very efficient in summer. For example without any heating demand it's enough to put it on for 30min and then totally turn it off and we have hot water all day long. I fully appreciate there is only two of us at the moment but still it seems cheap.

Is BM much more wasteful in winter with heating demand?

Sponsored Links
Why would you recommend that? i have found BM being very efficient in summer.

How are you measuring your system's efficiency?

With your limited use any modern cylinder will give you HW all day for 1/2 hour charge. Except as you don't have to heat it nearly as hot as the BoilerMate, standing heat losses are reduced.

You're happy with it, that's what matters. A new boiler will make little difference.

Tibbot thank again for replay.

I fully appreciate where you coming from. As i have said i'm quite happy with it at the moment.

I hate wasting money and that why i'm looking into making our heating system more efficient but a big changes like for example new cylinder which will need all the controls as Potterton is just a regular boiler not even have a pump will be expensive.

If i could put some number to comparison ie spending 3k on totally new system will save me £xxx i will do it. But i know this kind of comparison is impossible.

Anyway in your opinion in our very limited use changing Potterton will not be good investment? Unless it will breakdown and need expensive repair?

In making a decision, it's worth understanding what a boiler does. In your case it's a heat source for the BoilerMate.

Not that this necessarily applies in this case, but I've found examples where people want to cling on to their outdated controls, rusty radiators, unlagged scaled cylinder and then employ the services of the cheapest Muppet. All because they believe a new Worcester on the wall is a life changing experience.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back