Reposition Boiler - Things to consider

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I would like to move my boiler from the back bedroom in my house to either a cupboard on the landing or into the loft (fully boarded, permanent stairs etc etc).

My only concern is the flue and where that can go if it went in either location?

The current position of the boiler is in my second bedroom facing the rear of the house and flue simply goes through the wall to the outside.

If I put the boiler on the landing in what once was the airing cupboard before we moved in, my concern is getting the flue to the outside world. I can only assume it could go upwards so through the loft and out through the roof. The airing cupboard is in the middle of the house, so if we dont go upwards, it would need to track through a bedroom to get out.

Other option is use the loft and position it up there and have the flue going straight out the roof. How much effort would it be to put the flue through the roof?

Just to add, I am not doing this myself and will get the right gas safe etc fitters but just thinking of options before getting quotes.

Cheers

Karl

Sponsored Links
You dont mention your boiler model! The flue requirements are unique to each type.

If the boiler is not condensing then most would consider it uneconomic to move an existing boiler. Its questionable if its allowable under the building regulations anyway.

Its best you you to decide where YOU want a boiler to go and then ask for quotes to provide what you want.

Tony

Thanks Tony!

The current boiler is an Ariston which I would like to replace. I dont know about the new one as not looked yet as to what is the best etc.

How much work is involved with putting a hole through the roof? Thats obviously assuming thats a possibility.

Cheers

Karl

Sponsored Links
Most boilers have a vertical flue option.

I would say that all flues through pitched roofs need access to the outside for instalation. I did see one in Coventry that had been fitted apparently without but i dont know how they did it.

Some will fit them using ladder access but others will want scaffolding up to the eaves. I dont know what the HSE requirements are on this. Or for tht matter if an access tower like mine can be used by a professional.

Some models have flues which can be taken horizontally for quite a distance.

If the house is terraced the a vertical flue is needed. If it has a gable end then that can be used for a simple flue.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back