Resizing internal door frames

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
(Put this in windows and doors but think its probably more suited to here)
My current internal doors are 34" x 81"

I asked before about replacing them and would require custom sizes which I could deal with. But had a thought:

It would appear that the current standard larger door size is 33” x 78”

Could I remove the stops and fit half inch faces onto the jambs and a few layers onto the head and just fit the smaller door? I know I'd have to use broader faced architrave, which I dont mind.

Reason being I was hoping to fir fire doors/solid wood doors, which when custom made to the origional sizes comes out at a pretty hefty price, I realise that they will be there long after any flooring/decor etc has long gone, but Its a case of If I can do it myself and do it for a more reasonable price then the sooner I can get on with it.

Was thinking if the above Is an ok way to go then the new faces would give clean jams faces for hinges and locks etc.

I dont want to pull out the old door frames all together either as Im sure its all thats holding up some of th eolder bricks above and to be honest Id need someone to do it and it would end up alot dearer than the custom cut doors.

Read more: //www.diynot.com/diy/threads/changing-large-imperial-door-frames-to-new.440918/#ixzz3jw0bsTEH

Sponsored Links
I don't think there's anything wrong with what you're proposing but I think you should do just one to start off with, from start to finish. Sand the jams first and use glue and screws to secure them, particularly on the hanging side. Start with the top, then do the sides. Make sure they're not twisted! When screwing the new faces on, be sure not to put screws where a hinge or striker plate will come. Once the glue is definitely dry, re-hang the new door. If it works then you can do them all. Hope this helps.
Good luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back