Responsibility of Building Control Ollicers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a small extension with pitch roof completed approx 5 years ago. The Building Inspector was involved throughout and a completion certificate was given and all his stipulations adhered to. However, the roof is now like a sieve as the pitch of the roof is totally inadequate for the tiles used. My builder has gone into liquidation and I recall that the roofing was sub contracted, to whom I don't know. I contacted Building Regs and they say their responsibiloity expires after 2 years from date of completion notice. I pointed out that had they noticed this problem whilst gthe build was going on, it could have been rectified with minimal cost and upheaval. Do I have any lehal rights regarding this?

Sponsored Links
Others have tried but have failed as you will if you pursue it. Sorry.

What did the drawings say? Did they specify appropriate tiles for the pitch?

What actually is the pitch, and what were the tiles used? Is there a valley in the roof?
Many tiles perform adequately at a lower pitch than the manufacturer's specification.
As per Mr F.M.Twin, don't waste your time with the council.

As above, forget about chasing Building Control.
What was the specification and who came up with it?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all your replies. Not encouraging. The tiles that were used were Marley Modern in smooth gray. The pitch specified should be 17.5 deg and 100mm headlap , and my roof is only 5.2 deg qnd 75mm headlap- almost as flat as a flat roof. I thought Building control inspectors were employed to eradicate bad building practice. Had they bothered to glance up they would have seen something was seriously wrong with the building of the roof. A roofer I called in noticed it immediately. I am told I need to rip off all the tiles and give the roof the finish of a flat roof. A huge expense that in my view could have been avoided.

5.2deg!!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Holy cow, its a wonder it didn't leak long ago! Yes BC should have noticed but they should not be confused with a quality control or workmanship service. But really it is the original builder to blame. Or was this tile specified on a drawing for that roof pitch? Yes replacement is the only cure.

5.2 degrees lol.

Why was it such a diffent angle?

Its going to difficult to sort as is, I do think you need to take the tiles of and then insert a flat roof construction detail before adding tiles back if required for aesthetics.

No particular tile was specified. The tile used was chosen by the roofer who built the roof as a match to roofing tiles elsewhere on the house. The pitch was restricted by a window at the top. Yes, a wonder it didn't start leaking immediately and I wish it had as I wouldn't be in the position I am now in with no redress to the Council/builder/ builder's chosen roofer. I think adding a flat roof detail and tiles on top will double the price of the fix. BI says that double felting would be the cheapest option, but the tiles would still have to be removed and wasted to realise that option.

Not sure what felt you have but Tyvek literature regarding double felt will not permit 5.2 degrees.

Marley Modern at 100mm headlap will go to 17.5 and double felting will permit a 2 degree reduction so 15.5 is the lowest in this instance.

Its up to you but I would consider a flat roof type construction.

I think a couple of v. experienced roofers have replied regarding my plight and I greatly appreciate their input. The repair roofer I have contacted thinks ALWITRA would be my best option, inserting additional batons to bring the roof up to the required height so that the lead need not be disturbed or renewed. Aesthetically, I'm not sure a rubber roof is going to look right, but something has to be done quickly and well at the best possible price as money is in short supply!

I find it very hard to believe that any Building Control Officer would issue a completion certificate with a roof covered in Marley Moderns at 5.2 degree pitch!

If it is true I would kick up a stink with the Chief BCO in your Council as they must have the most incompetent building inspector in the country.

Having said that they do have limited liability for defective work. But surely that liability extends for 6 years and not 2.

Just found this. Looks like you can lodge a complaint with the Local Government Ombudsman. http://www.lgo.org.uk/publications/fact-sheets/complaints-about-building-control/

Hardly surprising it leaks - at 420mm per tile with a 100mm headlap the tiles only have a fall of about 3mm at that pitch - probably only the felt that has kept the water out over the time!

What do you hope to gain at the end of all the finger pointing? Someone to pay for it? Wish you luck with that one - my first experience of the expertise on offer on this site was related to the really shoddy fitting of a new roof on my partner's flat. Building Control lent us their professional opinion that it was a turd, the Court agreed and the builder still has a CCJ against him. He packed up shop, claimed everything belonged to his wife and got off scot free..

Given that everyone on your job has disappeared I think your only recourse will probably be to re-roof it and cover the cost, but your house insurance may pitch in, especially as the development was signed off

Thanks for your positive reply. I am waiting for a letter from the Head of Building Control with his decision as to whether the Council are liable to any extent, which I doubt. Where else would the buck stop except with the poor homeowner? I have bookmarked your link and the first example quoted in it is v. similar to what has happened to me, and the Ombudsman found the council partly liable. Encouraging. So despite previous posts I will fight on. I am incensed that we individuals have to pay BC and their remit seems extremely limited.

The builder was to blame. The roofer was to blame. Was the roof warranty an insurance backed guarantee? You are only pursuing BC because the workmanship was unsatisfactory and the tradesmen are no longer around.

Ok. I think the general concensus is that the builder is to blame as it was his roofer but I want to be sure that BC are aware that roofs are part of a build and it's more than somewhat important that they are constructed properly, along with foundations, drains, lintels etc etc. Surely it is not unreasonable to expect a BCO to see something blatantly wrong and point it out before the completion certificate is granted. Although my builder has gone into liquidation, he is not refusing outright to try and put things right, but there was a sharp intake of breath when he was told by the roofing people he called in to have a look at it, what the likely cost would be. I have told BC that and that I expect a portion of the cost would have to be bourne by me. But I felt it only fair that they put their hand in their pocket to some extent too. Sobeit and thanks to Freddie who I know is trying to spare me wasting my time!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back