Responsibility of Building Control Ollicers

not being off the correct pitch for the tiles is not a point building control will be worried about they may notice and comment but as said before its a design issue more cosmetic than structural building control are only concerned as to weather you have complied with the regs or not anything else is a bonus

Sponsored Links
I find it very hard to believe that any Building Control Officer would issue a completion certificate with a roof covered in Marley Moderns at 5.2 degree pitch!
Me too.

Aesthetically, I'm not sure a rubber roof is going to look right,
A flat roof will look at whole lot better than the horror story/train wreck that it is now!

Who's idea was it to put tiles on this structure? Was it designed?

Or are we talking typical tight wad customer again who would not put his hand in his pocket for a designer and has come off worse?

Is this roof definitely 5.2 degrees? It seems bizarre - I don't even see how using tiles on a roof that flat is going to help make the roof match the rest of the house... it'd just look silly. Can we see a photo?

Last word on all this. Design for roof was by architect who did the plans for planning. The tiles match those on other roof areas of the house. The Building Control Officer came round and had a look and said very little. His visit was followed by a letter pointing out that Bulding Notice did not cover roofs, and a spcial notification should have been made by me to have the roof looked at before the Completion Certificate was issued. Now how is a homeowner to know that? I wrote back and contested much of what was said in his letter, just really to vent my spleen. Phone call today from BC to say my letter had gone off to their insurers and I should expect a contribution to the cost of repairing the roof. So never say die!!!

Sponsored Links
Very interesting, thanks for replying and please reply again when their (initial) offer comes through if it gets that far! ;)

Will do! I have already said to BC that if a cheque for £25 arrives, I will not take that sitting down!

Design for roof was by architect who did the plans for planning.
Out of interest, why haven't you approached the architect asking him/her to explain why they specified a tiled roof at such a low pitch. As I see it, your architect has a professional responsibility to their client to provide a service and a specification that can be built from to meet the client's requirements.

With years of training your architect would know full well that a 5.2° pitch roof is going to leak very quickly. It seems to me that while your BCO should have noticed, and your builder should have known the pitch wasn't sufficient, the buck stops with the professional who designed the roof.

The architect will also have PI insurance to protect him/her from such claims.

If he/she is registered, they should have PII, but if they are a technician or draftsman etc, possibly not?

I think most lay people refer to someone who draws plans as 'architect', and maybe don't realize the distinction.

If he/she is registered, they should have PII, but if they are a technician or draftsman etc, possibly not?

I think most lay people refer to someone who draws plans as 'architect', and maybe don't realize the distinction.
I agree Tony. It's like when I tell people I'm an engineer and they think I fix washing machines for a living...Grrrrr :mrgreen:

I promised Freddie that I would let him know when and if the Council did offer anything in settlement towards my roofing disaster. It took a while and quite a lot of research on my part into Building Regs. As they were not prepared to pay compensation, I asked for a refund of my Building Notice Fee. I accepted their offer in settlement provided that there was more transparency in their Building Notice Acceptance letter.
Thanks to everyone for their helpful input, especially Freddie, who I hope is now fully recovered. This is such a great site for us mere women who know .exactly what we want but have little idea of good building practices

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back