restoring victorian roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am restoring a victorian semi at the moment and the roof has just been restored. The roofers stripped the tiles and laths and layed a water proof breathable membrain instead of felt. This membrain is so good that the house is water tight as soon as it goes on so the tiling can then be done in any weather. Make sure that if you are in a semi that your roofers strip and seal over the party wall and if you share any chimney stacks that they lead flash over next doors half as well to get a good seal.

Sponsored Links
While it is kind of a contradiction in terms I do know what you mean by in reasonable condition.
The slates may be fine for another fifty years or more but your roof is suffering from what is called nail fatigue or nail sickness whereby though the slates are sound the nails have perished and this is the cause of slipped slates,
Stripping the roof and laying an underslate felt then reslateing to new tanalised battens with copper or aluminium nails will give you a roof covering that your grandchildren can wory about ....cus it wont give any problems in yours or my lifetime, providing the slates are indeed still sound.
Stebed , all theese new underfelt products are expensive nonsense, a house is no less waterproof than if it uses a regular cheap as chips slaters felt. In circumstances like the construction of a warm roof they have their merits but for everyday purposes they are a waste of money and indeed have been acredited with causing more problems than they have solved in some instances resulting in some products being removed from the market, many many builders ,myself included are reverting back to the tried and trusted reinforced roofing felts that have been on the market for years.they do the job, what more do you need?????????????

Somehow I'm wondered if it really worth having roofing felts ! I'm seeing more condensation problem under the roofing felts in this weather we're having now. I know if the roof tiles is damaged then it protect the rainwater from damaging the internal building but the damaged tiles will never be replace or repairs because of not knowing ! Without roofing felts you would have a much more draughty loft for timber to breathe, so therefore less condensation. The downside is, if you have a leak then you would know about it ! but then you would repairs or replace the tiles almost straight away !

Sponsored Links
My roof has no felt, hasn't had any for the 95 years its been standing, and all the ceilings are in tip-top condition.

Of course you can see where some of the wood has become damp, but I reckon the roof is good for another 10 years at least.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back