Retaining garden wall: severely bowed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At the boundary of my garden is an 18 inch high stone retaining wall, which retains next doors garden. They are "up the hill" from me.

The wall is severely bowed.

I notice the wall does not have any drainage holes, where water from next doors lawn could seep out. Could this be a contributory factor?

Advice, please, on rectifying/stabilising this problem.

Mike

Sponsored Links
If it not done correctly then it can happen, you don't say single or double wall but anyway the picture will give you some idea how it should be.

wall02.gif

I think the only way is to rebuild it by using engineer bricks and dpm as shown in the picture

If I drilled a few holes in the wall and inserted plastic pipes as "weep holes" would this stop the bowing getting any worse, do you hink?

Mike

Difficult question to answer, should help though by taking the water away from it.

Sponsored Links
if its bowing may well have gone past the point of no return. if its only 18" high, i would suspect its been done as a very basic wall and the heave of the soil over time has bowed it out. As masona says see if you can work out what its made from.
What sort of soil are you on? Is the bow recent? It could be that it will last another 20 years before it gives up!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back