Retaining within a retainer!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm creating a step into a sloped garden and I'm after some advice.

As you can see from the photos I have a fence down two sides of the garden, and the mounds of earth taken from the bottom (the hardcored bit) is to be spread along the rest of the garden to create a flatter area.

However, this will mean that there could be a lot of earth resting against the fence, which I didn't want to happen. I was thinking of digging a small channel along side the fences, say 6inces to a foot wide, and then put in place some sort of small retainer.

I don't think it would take much but can someone suggest what material to use?

At the highest point I think it would be around 6-10 inches, nothing more.

Just realised I've no idea how to put an image in here. Any advice?

Many thanks

[/img]

Sponsored Links
No image :)

Sound like what i am going to do. if you can get the image up, then we can see :)

Hi Deefadog

I just put on the bottom of my post there that I don't know how to get an image up.

Any ideas?

How embarrasing!

Hi Deefadog

I just put on the bottom of my post there that I don't know how to get an image up.

Any ideas?

How embarrasing!

Sponsored Links
just go into the network (icon in top right hand corner. your profile will come up and there will be an option for images. you can then upload direct to that. once done there will be a box above the photo taht says diynot code. just cut and paste that code across onto the page you are writing.

Thanks Thermo, that's done.

Anyone please feel free to have a look and advise if you feel able to.

thanks again

if you cut and paste the code onto a reply on this link then the photos will show up on here to save people darting about from one place to another. (youre more likely to keep people intrested then!)

well done!

in answer to your first question, paving slabs, set vertically and cut to size, will give along term solution, or a sleeper.

Thanks Thermo

Is there a rule of thumb in terms of how deep and how high they can go, and therefore how much they can retain?

Also any ideas for covering them up out of sight, or is it just planting that is the best option here?

you can put the paving slabs just in front of the fence and then take the turf right up top them. it wont notice at the edge of the fence line.

Thanks again Thermo

Any guide on the depth and height of them?

Cheers

how deep is the soil you are retaining against the fence?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back