rewire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all

will be doing a full re-wire with approval of LBAC

i ned to decide what bits i need to go and buy, mainly the CU.

does it matter which one i get, i was thinking of getting a Crabtree Starbreaker split load from SF.

also which circuits need to be RCD protected?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
b21playa said:

LABC don't offer 'approval'. You notify them that you are about to start work, pay them a fee and then they come and inspect.

does it matter which one i get, i was thinking of getting a Crabtree Starbreaker split load from SF.

If I was your LABC I would not approve.

Do you have a copy of the Wiring Regulations?
Do you fully understand them?
Do you possess, or have access to, calibrated test equipment?
Do you know how to carry out all the necessary tests and complete an installation certificate?

If you can answer yes to these questions then you must already know the answer to the questions you asked.

dingbat said:
b21playa said:

LABC don't offer 'approval'. You notify them that you are about to start work, pay them a fee and then they come and inspect.

If I was your LABC I would not approve.

Do you have a copy of the Wiring Regulations?
Do you fully understand them?
Do you possess, or have access to, calibrated test equipment?
Do you know how to carry out all the necessary tests and complete an installation certificate?

If you can answer yes to these questions then you must already know the answer to the questions you asked.

thye will be coming at interval to check up and they will test and certify the work, hence the £250 they charging

Well if it's agreed with the LABC then fair enough - you are doing it 'by the book'

The Starbreaker is one of the best domestic consumer units available - I like your attitude towards materials and am glad that Volex has not been mentioned once!

I think SF are giving free sockets away with it too!

I would personally RCD protect:

- All ring final circuits (radial socket circuits too!)
- Shower Circuit
- Any circuit supplying a load outside the house (EXCEPT a supply to outbuilding such as a shed)

I would put on the non-RCD side:

- Cooker circuit (don't put a socket on your Cooker Control Unit!)
- Any indoors lighting circuits
- Fire Alarm circuit (I would personally feed this off of a lighting circuit)
- Supply to outbuilding such as shed (put an RCD at the shed end!)
- Any supply to Boilers or Immersion heaters

These are just the basic circuits a house will probably contain - If you are installing any others then please ask away!

Sponsored Links
PompeySparks said:
Well if it's agreed with the LABC then fair enough - you are doing it 'by the book'

The Starbreaker is one of the best domestic consumer units available - I like your attitude towards materials and am glad that Volex has not been mentioned once!

I think SF are giving free sockets away with it too!

I would personally RCD protect:

- All ring final circuits (radial socket circuits too!)
- Shower Circuit
- Any circuit supplying a load outside the house (EXCEPT a supply to outbuilding such as a shed)

I would put on the non-RCD side:

- Cooker circuit (don't put a socket on your Cooker Control Unit!)
- Any indoors lighting circuits
- Fire Alarm circuit (I would personally feed this off of a lighting circuit)
- Supply to outbuilding such as shed (put an RCD at the shed end!)
- Any supply to Boilers or Immersion heaters

These are just the basic circuits a house will probably contain - If you are installing any others then please ask away!

cheers mate for that.

will be getting the starbreaker, and all item will be crabtree where possible.

would have thought boiler would have been RCD as shower is.

what about burgular alarm? i was thinking of a feed forthis, security lights and smoke alarms

The burglar alarm can be spurred from the ring final via an appropriately fused-spur or you may wish to run a dedicated circuit from the non-RCD side of the board so that you don't lose the alarm if the RCD trips! Security lights will be outside so I would run a dedicated circuit and RCD protect it.

As I said earlier, the smoke alarms should be spurred off of a lighting circuit. This is so that a) they will not be lost if the RCD trips and b) nobody can disable them whilst the toast is burning and then forget to turn the MCB back on!

The reason I keep heating circuits on the non RCD side of the board is that they supply fixed equipment (only 5s disconnection to meet) and if you have a fault on an RCD circuit that keeps tripping the RCD (or indeed if the RCD becomes faulty) then you don't loose heating which in the middle of winter could be a life or death situation for an OAP who has forgotten how to reset the RCD (not saying you're an OAP, just a general principle!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back