Rewiring a large house as part of a redevelopment project

For a "working" room like a kitchen, it's by far the best way to get widespread, even, (relatively) shadow free illumination of a large area. For a lounge watching TV then it's a different matter - but then having a downlighter is equally (or IMO worse) as it's a bright "point source" in your peripheral vision.
Is not the same not also true of a pendant light - in fact, probably worse, since the point source is even lower, hence even more likely to be in one's peripheral vision?
but you are tending to illustrate and perpetuate the misunderstandings by describing 60° lights, let alone 120° ones, as "spotlights" :) . A true "spotlight" typically has a beam angle of 25° or less.
Yes, these wide angle lights are floodlights. ... But their use then brings in another problem - while they illuminate a wider area, it also means a very bright point source that's in your peripheral vision a lot of the time.
See above.
And something I'd never considered before I was wearing glasses full time, such "harsh" light sources do tend to cause glare in a way that diffused sources don't.
Yes, that will become a factor as one moves from very diffuse sources to highly point-source ones. In my house, I personally rely heavily on uplighters in 'non-working' rooms - so there is no directly visible 'light source' at all, just an illuminated ceiling.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Is not the same not also true of a pendant light - in fact, probably worse, since the point source is even lower, hence even more likely to be in one's peripheral vision?
It depends.
With most downlighters, it's a very bright and directional point source - set against a largely unlit ceiling. I agree that a bare bulb (as my other half seems keen, and especially a clear bulb with halogen capsule in it) is almost as bad - but at least some of it's light is illuminating the ceiling so it's a point source against a light background. Add a shade and things change considerably.

You think 2D fittings are nice.
This correspondence is now closed.
be fair now, there are actually some nice looking ones - they don't all have to look like industrial bulkhead lights.

Sponsored Links
It depends. ... With most downlighters, it's a very bright and directional point source - set against a largely unlit ceiling. I agree that a bare bulb (as my other half seems keen, and especially a clear bulb with halogen capsule in it) is almost as bad - but at least some of it's light is illuminating the ceiling so it's a point source against a light background. Add a shade and things change considerably.
True - but those 'considerable changes' produced by a shade will often (at least in term of light distribution) move it more in the direction of a downlight - less illumination of the ceiling and a more restricted 'beam angle'.

Kind Regards, John

True - but those 'considerable changes' produced by a shade will often (at least in term of light distribution) move it more in the direction of a downlight - less illumination of the ceiling and a more restricted 'beam angle'

Unless it's an upligther lamp shade! (bug & dust catcher!)

True - but those 'considerable changes' produced by a shade will often (at least in term of light distribution) move it more in the direction of a downlight - less illumination of the ceiling and a more restricted 'beam angle'
Unless it's an upligther lamp shade! (bug & dust catcher!)
As I said, I use a lot of uplighters - but you highlight one of the downsides :)

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back